Iam Or Ibt

wrencher9

Oct 14, 2003
The big question on the minds of the IAM workers at USAIRWAYS is: Which union will it be the IAM or the IBT. Well speaking for myself and the general concensus on the floor is that the IAM is not the Union of choice anymore. That if there was a vote for representation, the IBT would be chosen at USAIRWAYS over the IAM. I know that there has to be 35% vote of the membership to have an IBT and the IAM representation vote on the USAIRWAYS and America West properties. Why is there so much concern with this happening ? Here are just a few issues : 1. No comunnications - Not the opinions of the elected local officals 2. The brow beating of the local officals and international reps from the IAM to the membership 3. The constant statement from the local: " They can do that! " ; when a concern that the contract has the possibility of being violated. And when you go futher into the hiearchy of the IAM such as the AGC, he reenforces the statement of " They can do that! " 4. They IAM local and International are sitting on their high horses feeling they are untouchable. You as a member feel that you are being represented by a Company Union for you don't know where the line is on Company or Union side. You can see the frustration and the concern of a possible no Union on the properties and for many; they feel why need one when the is no true Union representation from the IAM. As you can see there are true problems in the ranken file . I hope there is a true Union presence on the properties when everything is over after the completion of the merger. :down: :shock:

It would give me great pleasure to see the IAM and their cronies go the way of CCY...Out the door. I would take any Union over these clowns that permitted the Company to Outsource 20+ Stations..

Per AWA webpage it is IAM fr the mechanics.
From AWA website

Mechanics (for US Airways includes stock clerks and maintenance training instructors)

AWA
union....................... IBT
# in group................ 852
Contract Status.........Currently in negotiations

USAirways................IAM
# in group................3848
Contract Status.........December 2009

AWA footnote....
Note: When two carriers merge and the same union represents both carriers’ employees (in this case, pilots and flight attendants), both carriers’ groups follow their respective union’s Merger Policy. When the two groups are represented by different unions (dispatchers, mechanics, fleet service, stock clerks, passenger service and reservations agents), the National Mediation Board (NMB) generally will order a representation election to determine which union will represent the combined group if each union represents at least 35% of the combined group. If one airline’s work force does not represent at least 35% of the combined group, the larger work force’s union would likely be certified to represent both airlines’ specific work group.

Are the numbers correct? (Seems to me USAirways numbers are off after all the layoffs etc unless utility members that are laided off are still considered part of group in eyes of NMB) If so IAM represents 81.9% IBT 18.1% Give or take stock clerks, training instructors. In other words IAM takes the cake?

wings396 said:
It would give me great pleasure to see the IAM and their cronies go the way of CCY...Out the door. I would take any Union over these clowns that permitted the Company to Outsource 20+ Stations..
[post="271616"][/post]​

Considering the silent and lightning fast capitulation of the IBT at CO, I would recommend the IAM (if it were my only choice). Of course the IBT already knew that many of their CO membership were scabs anyway and if they put up any kind of resistance, their membership would still cross a picket line and blame the union. CO is like a 'free dues' zone for the IBT.

AWA fleet service has around 2,000 eligible workers
US fleet service has around 5,000 eligible workers including those laid off who would be eligible. I do not think the TWU has 35% and therefore would lose their certification.

As a side, as aweful as the TWU contract is, it is 1000% better than the IAM's since it's ammendable date will come this july as opposed to 5 more years of pain under the IAm contract. Unfortunately, the IAM contract will supercede.

regards,

wings396 said:
[post="271616"][/post]​

Wings,

Correct me if I am wrong, but did not the 'Membership' vote for your last contract?

Emil.Howes said:
Wings,

Correct me if I am wrong, but did not the 'Membership' vote for your last contract?
[post="271785"][/post]​

may be the membership in the hubs voted it in for the 20 plus cities to be outsourced so that they can protect their precious catering and mos tof us in the 20 plus cities voted against it.

Emil.Howes said:
Wings,

[post="271785"][/post]​
OH, Not this Friggen line again!! The "Membership" that voted this wonderful contract in did not include those who were tossed onto the street with Outsourcing.
Once again, those who voted "YES" didn't lose thier jobs as they Sacrificed their own "Union Brothers" in 20+ stations. Why would anybody in a Class 2 Station vote themselves out of a Job? That wonderfull majority of Yes Men tossed us under the Bus. Just so you know, 61% of the eligible voters were located in Class 1 Stations that were not subject to outsourcing. This vote was stacked by the Company with the IAM's blessing at the last minute by adding BDL & PVD to the list of Class 1 Stations.....We all know that they only needed 51% to make it pass.
So to sum it all up for you, not all of the "Membership" voted this contract in.

wings396 said:
OH, Not this Friggen line again!! The "Membership" that voted this wonderful contract in did not include those who were tossed onto the street with Outsourcing.
Once again, those who voted "YES" didn't lose thier jobs as they Sacrificed their own "Union Brothers" in 20+ stations. Why would anybody in a Class 2 Station vote themselves out of a Job? That wonderfull majority of Yes Men tossed us under the Bus. Just so you know, 61% of the eligible voters were located in Class 1 Stations that were not subject to outsourcing. This vote was stacked by the Company with the IAM's blessing at the last minute by adding BDL & PVD to the list of Class 1 Stations.....We all know that they only needed 51% to make it pass.
So to sum it all up for you, not all of the "Membership" voted this contract in.
[post="271835"][/post]​

Wings,

Your ‘personal’ situation is the epitaph of what is not right with unionism in the US today. Union members “TODAYâ€￾ are more than willing to sacrifice (YOU) as long as it is ‘someone else’ that will fall on the sword.

I respect your disappointment/frustration and I apologize for my insensitive post.

-BigE

Thank you very much. It has been a bad deal all around to the Dues paying members that are losing their jobs due to Outsourcing. It seems that the IAM forgot that we have been paying them dues just like everyone else to Protect our jobs. The only positive side of this is that we will be rid of paying dues to the Organization once our severence has run out.....Yes, they take dues out of our severence pay even though we are now Unemployed.. :down:

What about the 800 non-union workers at CCY who are going to get laid-off and don't have a say about what happens?

700UW said:
What about the 800 non-union workers at CCY who are going to get laid-off and don't have a say about what happens?
[post="271992"][/post]​
And the difference is??? Lost jobs, are lost no matter what. I feel much better losing my job with a contract in hand. I paid dues to try to prevent just this type of thing from happening. I would be half way acceptable if we were just gettting furloughed due to a reduction in force rather than Outsourcing. Now there is NO chance of being recalled since 20+ Stations are gone forever. Let us not forget IF we get recalled after 60 days we return to work at the Starting rate of pay.
What a Wonderful deal the IAM put together for us...
At least the 800 in CCY were not paying any organization to cover their backs!
I'm willing to bet they will get some type of a Severence package even though they were Non Union.

Latest posts

Back