Iam Or Ibt

johnnyfleet said:
Fleet Service who do you want, IAM or TWU, I would think given a choice TWU would win a run off

America West Ramp Contract
[post="271612"][/post]​

This guy no doubt is a TWU official.

To TWU members TWU means Totally Worthless Union, or The Worst Union.

If you want to look at a TWU contract look at the AA/TWU contract.

The TWU undercut the industry for twenty years.

TWU firsts.

First with B-scale-1983

First to give up the 8 hour day and went to 8.5 hours for 8 hrs pay-1983.

First to give up R&D for maintenance-1983.

First to allow unlimited outsourceing-1950.

First to give away annuity retirement-1983.

First to give up company provided LTD-1983.

First to give up company paid medical-1989?

First to give up retiree medical-1989?

First to create Junior Fleet service clerks and SRPs, new lower paid classifications that displaced higher paid positions-1995.

First to give up IOD bank so union could sell STD policies-2003.

First to give back 25% of pay-outside of BK-2003.

First to give up vacation with new employees only getting one week of paid vacation per year-2003.

First to give up doubletime-2003.

First to give up all holiday pay, only five days recognized as holidays and only paid at half pay if worked.

THe list goes on and on, if you are in the IAM all you have to do is ask anyone who sat in on negotiations for the last twenty years and they will tell you that because of the TWU brokered agreements at AA that they could not get you more.

Given the choice between IBT and IAM though I would have to say you need the IBT, look at what they did over at UPS and even SWA, before the mechanics voted them out and got AMFA.

The fact is that if there is vote you should go for either AMFA or the AGW and try and start what should have been done twenty-five years ago when the industry was deregulated-uniting the workers into one union or at least unions that only have members in one industry.

The IAM is a dying union. They lost 25% of their membership between two Conventions. Right now they are doing whatever they can to maintian the dues flow that funds their salaries and generous pensions-including selling their members labor at firesale prices. The IBT has been openly critical of the IAM calling them a company union. Despite the fact that AWA only has around 900 IBT members compared to the IAMs 3800 I would think that the IBT would fight for an election.
Clearly the IBT is the better choice between the two.

Wings:
Did the IAM really put in language that after 60days you get called back at starting rates of Pay?

Bob Owens said:
The IAM is a dying union. They lost 25% of their membership between two Conventions. Right now they are doing whatever they can to maintian the dues flow that funds their salaries and generous pensions-including selling their members labor at firesale prices.......
Clearly the IBT is the better choice between the two.
Wings:
Did the IAM really put in language that after 60days you get called back at starting rates of Pay?
[post="272174"][/post]​
1. You hit the nail right on the head! The IAM was willing to give up the dues paying members in 20+ cities in order to maintain an income. This was guaranteed by the "protection" of the balot by having 51 % of the votes coming from the larger cities. The IAM and US KNEW (because of the "stacked" vote) the vote would be in favor of the contract. The IAM KNEW they would keep dues (their lifeblood) coming in by this contract.... otherwise, the company might fold and they would get nothing. The IAM and the larger cities were willing and did "sacafice" their brothers/sisters to protect themselves.
2. 60 days recalled at "start pay"?.......I, thank goodness, got out....but as memory serves me....YES. This was another way the company and the IAM stuck it to the employees in the "outsourced cities"
................and yes....I know 700. This was not a contract presented by the IAM....and yes, I know....it was approved by the "membership" (to the IAM's joy)

wrencher9 said:
2. The brow beating of the local officals and international reps from the IAM to the membership.
3. The constant statement from the local: " They can do that! " ; when a concern that the contract has the possibility of being violated. And when you go futher into the hiearchy of the IAM such as the AGC, he reenforces the statement of " They can do that! "
4. They IAM local and International are sitting on their high horses feeling they are untouchable.
[post="271598"][/post]​
Odds are, that if you are still on the property, you voted for the contract.

The AGC's are right. You voted in a contact that allows the company to do about anything they want. The company wrote it down, and you voted for it.

I blame the local officers and the AGC's for being cowards before the vote. They realized that no matter which way the vote went, the results would be dire and unacceptable to the membership. They were afraid to say "this contract is so enslaving, that this company needs to be shut down for forcing you to vote on it". They knew that most of the members couldn't "afford" that. So, they sat on their hands and waited for the cowardly membership to vote "in" their reward. As a result, there is nothing the AGC's can do, the company can do it.

And the International is not sitting on their high horses feeling untouchable. They're just repulsed by the stench of this groups cowardliness, and are praying that by isolating us, that it won't spread.

There is blame to go around, but the lion's share goes to the leadership. Here's why I think so.

1. The IAM did NOT prepare or plan for a strike at U. The strike vote was taken concurrently with the final offer vote. Compare this to the IAM effort's at UA, where a strike vote is being taken PRIOR to the completion of the BK abrogation talks. Interestingly, AFA/CWA took strike votes early on at U, which ALPA and IAM called 'provocative'.

Conclusion: The IAM did not want a strike at U. With the current events with HP, I believe the IAM calculates they will be able to absorb the HP IBT/TWU members.

2. The IAM never allowed anyone from the affected stations onto any of the advisory or negotiation committees. They never polled the membership, and asked what the folks paying the dues wanted. They appointed 'safe' members to every committee. They spent the bulk of the information meetings explaining how they had 'improved' the final offer, so logically, the IAM bears some responsibiltity to the 'final offer'. To claim otherwise would be speaking out both sides of their mouth.

3. I blame the membership for two things.

Allowing an elite few to run this union. Of course, this was fed by;

The big stations throwing principle, and their 'brothers' under the bus, knowing they would remain largely unaffected. I am sure IAM insiders were whispering this in PHL, CLT, DCA, BOS, etc's ears during the run-up.

With regards to the recall after 60 days, start at the bottom of the payscale. That is true only for fleet service.

The mechanics are recalled with full seniority, including pay, for 6 years.

Solidarity, my a$$.

At least ALPA had the decency to eat their young: IAM sent 600 old-timers out on an ice floe. :angry:

Bob Owens said:
This guy no doubt is a TWU official.

[post="272174"][/post]​

No just a fleet service employee and IAM member, you left out that the industry leading Ramp contract is now the Southwest TWU contract. Something to shoot for if the new airline becomes profitable.

Southwest's Ramp Contract

aerosmith said:
IAM sux. Except for Charlie Uram, Only guy that ever helped me out when I had a problem God rest his soul.
[post="272248"][/post]​
I can name a few more on the local level that TRIED to make a difference (especially for the small station he represented.) Pat Whitfield from ILM was/is one of those. IMO, Pat "fought" for the little guys. He fought not only US unfairness but also IAM lack of concern for F/S and small stations agents. Pat became vp of his local (a mechanics controlled local) and was eventually "black balled" out (my opinion). Pat is a good guy who stood and voiced his convictions....,now I understand he is headed for the streets rather than work for nothing as a Jet Stream employee.

Well I guess this answers the question!

America West is in negotiations with its Teamsters, which represent about 850 mechanics. The IAM represents about 3,850 US Airways mechanics, the companies reported. Because the Teamsters don't represent at least 35 percent of the combined group, the IAM will become the surviving union for mechanics, Schifano said