MERGER MANIA CONTINUES (MERGED TOPICS)

I'm going to "opine" here, and look forward to other(s) opinions.

All this talk about US Air demise (if they don't Merge or get Acquired) makes me Laugh !
Granted, the US situation is very unique.
Honestly, I feel that NONE of the few remaining airlines Want US, and more Honestly, IMHO it doesn't make a difference to US.
Here's why;
1. PHL
2. CLT
3. DCA
4. BOS/LGA/DCA Shuttle

If you're a unionized employee in those stations only, you'll have a job for a long time !
The amount of O+D traffic into and out of PHL and DCA is enormous, and that alone will keep US around for a long time. Now factor in the decent over-the-atlantic-traffic from PHL, and US becomes even more stronger against failure. Add in the Caribbean N/S's from PHL and CLT, it makes them (further) stronger.

With WN's BIG move with Air Tran in ATL, I see WN having a easier time going after DL, than "trying" to nickle and dime US in PHL, and Never going into DCA.

Many of US's FF's(may) wish they could dump US in PHL, But simply can't because they're most likely LOADED with FF miles, so they Keep flying, AND keep getting MORE miles.

Bottom line.....US is in a very unique position, and IMHO, virtually "to Big to Fail".

And lets not forget the marketing agreements with UAL etc.

???
TOO BIG TO FALL Have you ever heard of an airline called EASTERN?

With hubs/focus cities in Charlotte, Philadelphia, Washington DC, New York City and the shuttle. Oh, and Phoenix.

:ph34r: It's only US Airways in name.
Right.. but guess who's calling the shots?? Not USAirways.. the culture and product offered speaks for itself

If US is smart, they would not merge with AA, unless AA goes chapter 11, even if AA approached them to merge ( it would cause a horrible situation and demolish all cost savings achieved in two BK ) AA is in far worse shape than US is, and it is just a matter of time before something happens. AA is reaching for straws at this point and US is not.
:lol: :lol:

Lets revisit this in a week after the Q3 releases..

Is that the same point you were making when you said this regarding the WN/FL merger announcement?

Jim

Jim(Boeing Boy)

Your RIGHT. I said it, and It was a mistake for me to have opined that.

Not copping a plea, I've looked(since then) and realized that despite EVERYTHING crappy that has/is happening to US, they're Still Standing(even with a nincompoop at the helm.)

I honestly believe that the US enigma if you will, is the good and bad of the geographical location of Philly, and a better than average over the pond(Atlantic) route system.

They've got code shares with UAL which keeps UA "off their back", have virtually NO competition with AA out of PHL, or clt except to DFW/MIA, and ORD(never knew US to be big into MIA ever). Sure, folks who live in that Huge population area of southern NJ, central, eastern PA, Delaware, a good part of md., dca area, and a lot of NC. are "trapped by US Air if you will, but they're all on US nonetheless to every major city in the USA, caribbean, mexico, central america, and europe out of PHL.
In a weird sort of way, they remind me of Amtrak, as far as having 9 lives.

It's too bad that US could'nt get their hands on a LOAD of E75's and restart up US Air EXP, while getting rid of all the regional subcontractors. (An American Eagle type operation if you will)

Though they DEFINITELY defy USA Airline logic, nonetheless I say(now)... GOOD LUCK to THEM !

You and I are old enough I think ...to remember the old TIMEX watch commercial;
US Air,..........they take a lickin' and Keep on Tickin'

To a certain extent, US Air should have been "pushing up daisy's" a loooong time ago. But they aren't, and I don't expect them to anytime soon !

Walking out of the airport last night a pilot for AA said, "What airline are you guys?" We said US and he said, "Yeah there is a lot of rumor that we're gonna buy you guys". I just looked and rolled my eyes knowing that ANYTHING is possible but pleeeeeeeeease. US to me is a joke of an airline when it comes to how it's run and other carriers are lightyears ahead of us in most areas of business. US has great profits...cough, cough due to what? Moving along, I looked at him and rolled my eyes and said, fix your mess and we'll fix ours. mmmmmk. :rolleyes:

Jim(Boeing Boy)

Your RIGHT. I said it, and It was a mistake for me to have opined that.

Not copping a plea, I've looked(since then) and realized that despite EVERYTHING crappy that has/is happening to US, they're Still Standing(even with a nincompoop at the helm.)

I honestly believe that the US enigma if you will, is the good and bad of the geographical location of Philly, and a better than average over the pond(Atlantic) route system.

They've got code shares with UAL which keeps UA "off their back", have virtually NO competition with AA out of PHL, or clt except to DFW/MIA, and ORD(never knew US to be big into MIA ever). Sure, folks who live in that Huge population area of southern NJ, central, eastern PA, Delaware, a good part of md., dca area, and a lot of NC. are "trapped by US Air if you will, but they're all on US nonetheless to every major city in the USA, caribbean, mexico, central america, and europe out of PHL.
In a weird sort of way, they remind me of Amtrak, as far as having 9 lives.

It's too bad that US could'nt get their hands on a LOAD of E75's and restart up US Air EXP, while getting rid of all the regional subcontractors. (An American Eagle type operation if you will)

Though they DEFINITELY defy USA Airline logic, nonetheless I say(now)... GOOD LUCK to THEM !

You and I are old enough I think ...to remember the old TIMEX watch commercial;
US Air,..........they take a lickin' and Keep on Tickin'

To a certain extent, US Air should have been "pushing up daisy's" a loooong time ago. But they aren't, and I don't expect them to anytime soon !

"never knew US to be big into MIA ever"

Unfortunately that destroys your credibility as US had the Florida Shuttle and a large amount of north-south flying from MIA after the
PI merger.It was all frittered away just like the PSA CA flying. The best way to predict the future is to know the past.

Uhhh, last I checked WN doesn't send passengers to other carriers. But, I suppose WN does need US to send passengers to from the oversold WN flights to Athens, Tel Aviv, Rio De Janeiro, Barbados, ... :blink:
You're mistaken...WN sends it's overbooked passengers to TRAILWAYS!

"never knew US to be big into MIA ever"

Unfortunately that destroys your credibility as US had the Florida Shuttle and a large amount of north-south flying from MIA after the
PI merger.It was all frittered away just like the PSA CA flying. The best way to predict the future is to know the past.

I was referring to US Air, post Piedmont, Mohawk, Allegheny PSA etc.

I was referring to US Air, post Piedmont, Mohawk, Allegheny PSA etc.

Let me get this right - you're claiming the the day of the PI/US merger the PI MIA fliying ceased, the day of the PSA/US merger the PSA west coast flying ceased, etc? Thus US never did that flying ever?

Jim

Let me get this right - you're claiming the the day of the PI/US merger the PI MIA fliying ceased, the day of the PSA/US merger the PSA west coast flying ceased, etc? Thus US never did that flying ever?

Jim
You know Jim like LAS

There are only 3 choices left:

1. American
2. JetBlue
3. Alaska

There is no turning back at this point. We need to put a purchase offer in on one of the above. What's your preference?????

You know Jim like LAS

So it's not that US never big into XXX ever, but that US eventually pulled down XXX.

The common thread seems to be that once US is the name of the airline they screw up places that worked and eventually pull them down. And this is supposed to be an airline that's "too big to fail"???

Jim

Latest posts

Back