Possible UA/US Merger Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Shannon I not even a little surprised. The one thing the airline business does not have a shortage of is ego. You could create an entire alphabet that describes airline executives :up:

In fact I think I will. Others please help me finish this.

A is for arrogance a critical ingredient to work in Senior Management

B is for ???

C is for Credibility or lack thereof.

D ??

E is for Ego, nothing else need be said, it's the one thing that keeps airlines in the red.

OK I started YOUR TURN
me thinks this game will get me in trouble.

me wants to play. for now i will just watch. :unsure:

US Airways as a stand alone carrier is not an option. The airline can't make money by itself and what is most concerning is the amount of leverage this company has due to the previous merger. Everything we have is borrowed, save 25 EMB190's. THis whole place is one giant rent-a-center where nothing is owned, planning is absent and our customer base hates the product. Yep- America West all over again. I see it and it looks like a few others on Wall Street are beginning to figure it out too. Parker is a lot of fancy talk and smiles but his record as CEO of AWA and more recently USAirways shows he is nothing unique to this industry.
USA320 is correct in that we will not survive as a stand alone carrier. JP Morgan is politely telling us where we stand with our peers and whether we are first to go bankrupt or not is not the issue- it is the fact we will be one of the first to file. Delta looked at our balance sheet and fought Parker every step of the way until he called off his siege. That says a lot. We have nothing but borrowed money from hedge fund investors with a back loaded loan repayment schedule (hence the stellar financials the first couple of years). Our first quarter in 2008 was a disaster and looking at the way things are going today in the commodities it is only going to get worse economically this year.
So when this cadaver is laying on the gurnee some suitors will probably express interest in PHL international, the small hub at LGA and the DCA shuttle operation. PHX will probably garner some interest too. Overall, though, there really isn't much else of value and I would be surprised if this airline is sold as a whole. Airlines will only want to harvest the valuable organs and leave the rest for the vultures.
Parker has no bargaining power with UAL and Tilton. He is in it for himself.

Not to bring a union issue into the merger thread but it's a factor to a degree. I don't see how we can do a three way negotiation as far as the flight attendants go. Throw the whole pilot integration and the USAPA/ALPA issue in and I get a tremendous headache just thinking about it. We at US certainly have our issues and so does United operationally. I'm starting to think that the two will simply equal one giant disaster. It really IS a mess. Things seem to be a bit quiet on the merger front right now huh?

From what I have heard and this is not a fact since I didnt hear it from Pat Friend...
is that the company would ask AFA to work under Uniteds contract and not seek a new one.
Pat Friend would endorse it from the International Office.

No Shannon I not even a little surprised. The one thing the airline business does not have a shortage of is ego. You could create an entire alphabet that describes airline executives :up:

In fact I think I will. Others please help me finish this.

A is for arrogance a critical ingredient to work in Senior Management

B is for Blame. Customers and Employees alike, no one is safe from the CEO's knife.

C is for Credibility or lack thereof.

D ??

E is for Ego, nothing else need be said, it's the one thing that keeps airlines in the red.

OK I started YOUR TURN

D is for Daft

F is for Fathead

Status
Not open for further replies.