Possible UA/US Merger Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think he's talking about the little slogan shannon started making on tshirts and stickers (for sale if you find the link in this thread) But if you go back and follow the thread, I think it was made more so out of tiredness towards the , merger on,,,,,merger off.....that's been going on. And the slogan a jive towards the delta one. Follow the thread again..

i have to admit, i am getting a little skepticale myself. an announcement was supposed to be made last week.

etops is my touchstone.

If this is etops' most recent substantive post on the matter (and this was Tuesday), then.........
maybe it's time to consider retiring the thread, or starting one on generic merger speculation.

I don't know what you mean by that statement (or care for that matter) my point is I have trouble seeing the government prop up DL NW UA CO and not others,lawsuit city
My point is that w/o a merger US will be in the same position as after 9/11.

Small fish in big pond.

The similarities to the last merger attempt w/ a crisis looming puts extra pressure on the airlines.

BK3 may be an option after a failed merger attempt.

We all know how the last two turned out.

Think he's talking about the little slogan shannon started making on tshirts and stickers (for sale if you find the link in this thread) But if you go back and follow the thread, I think it was made more so out of tiredness towards the , merger on,,,,,merger off.....that's been going on. And the slogan a jive towards the delta one. Follow the thread again..
Thanks Crzipilot.

OMG someone UNDERSTANDS ME??? Are you married? Oh wait. Me too. Oh well. High five?

If that slogan/post was innapropriate, I just want to reiterate it was a joke and I had no way of knowing people would actually place orders for it. The site that has it will not remove it due to the fact it has 24 orders for the shirt and like 30 for the stickers, so unfortunately you might see it again. Richard will remove the link, Im sure, if something is wrong. Sorry to ruffle feathers and fwiw, I'm not making any money, that site gives me some kind of credit which I have no use for. There ya go.

:up: Kissies!

No. Not far fetched. I just wouldn't hold my breath. Not yet at least. IMO things are always changing, and UA has the ability to weather the storm longer than some around here wish. Not forever, but longer than many hope for. This has been the case ever since UA declared bankruptcy. Of course no one can bleed money forever. But since UA has tangible assets with real value, we are in a position to obtain financing if necessary, unlike some of our peers.

In the mean time problems need to be fixed instead of attention wasted on half baked ideas of mergers at all cost. And I think the board is slowly warming to that concept. With oil at $130/barrel, everyone has a problem. That could provide new opportunities no one thought possible before. (How about an AA/UA merger to save the industry, with Continental joining the DL/NW party and creating 2 national airlines with government subsidies on fuel prices, and US BK3? Far fetched?)

I just listened to the Crew News video earlier this month in CLT. It apears Doug agrees with you. A pilot asked Doug why try to merge US and UA and take on all their debt. Why not just wait for UA to die and then pick up the pieces. Doug said UA is not going away anytime soon. They have a substantial amount of cash and other holdings that can be converted to more cash. If we wait around for someone to die, we'll be too weak to pick up any pieces by then. Consolidation is the answer. He was also quick to point out that he is not confirming any talks are going on.

I just listened to the Crew News video earlier this month in CLT. It apears Doug agrees with you. A pilot asked Doug why try to merge US and UA and take on all their debt. Why not just wait for UA to die and then pick up the pieces. Doug said UA is not going away anytime soon. They have a substantial amount of cash and other holdings that can be converted to more cash. If we wait around for someone to die, we'll be too weak to pick up any pieces by then. Consolidation is the answer. He was also quick to point out that he is not confirming any talks are going on.

You have to admit those statements are thick with historical irony.

Bill Warlick, an analyst with Fitch Ratings, said US Airways Group Inc. could face a crunch next winter if revenue drops in the slow fall travel season and fuel remains at current prices. He said the airline has fewer options for raising cash -- it can't fetch as much by spinning off assets as others -- and without strong international routes is more vulnerable to a weakening U.S. economy.

Article

Jim

I have to wonder what DP and his band of merry men are up to. They are all wealthy enough to just walk away and let the airline sink. I have watched the AWA / USA / LCC management for many years...they are vindictive and they really don't care about any of the employees or their futures only what they can put in their pockets. With all the problems they have been handed by certain work groups...I have to wonder if they have had enough and are going to sit back and laugh all the way to the bank. I don't know if this merger is going to happen...but if it does I think some folks had better sit back on their heals and zip it up. I don't think the old guard at UAL are really the fools some USA people think they are. They are HARD liners and they would have the upper hand IF this merger goes through. So I guess the best thing to do is sit back and wait and see.

May 23, 2008

Quote of the Day
"If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you'll never enjoy the sunshine."
- Morris West

They are all wealthy enough to just walk away and let the airline sink.
I fail to see the difference between staying and walking away. The airline sinks while they are here. Something different may happen should they do something different, something other than "stay". Would the airline sink faster if they walked away?

I think what she was trying to express is that they are probably not living paycheck-to-paycheck, which is different than the status of most of the worker bees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back