US IAM Fleet Service topic 2/17-

Status
Not open for further replies.
BM,
also mike33 has no hard on for PTs . He's a man with 30 plus years trying to hold on to a job

it's bad enough the company wants to do away with us . We as fleet don't need to help them along.

I understand your situation to be that this US job could come or go . for you that's fine . but for the

majority of this fleet this is OUR JOB , OUR CAREER . who knows some day you might lose your other

and have to rely on this as your FT job. I think you would look at things a little different

BM,
also mike33 has no hard on for PTs it's bad enough the company wants to do away with us . We as fleet don't need to help them along.

As usual "O", you know where I'm coming from because of where we've been.

Essentially all that's happening here is that everyone now has to work his or her minimum hours, or at least show up to work being able to work them since now pre-VTO is gone and shift drops are limited.

The logic I see at work here is to try to weed out some of those people that spend more time above the wing flying than below the wing working. Reason being that if headcount needs reducing it's better to be rid of those people that don't depend on this job for income so they can avoid cutting those people that do...

...and I say it's about time.

Rested, Relaxed and Tanned... I am SO back!

Mr. ChockJockey,

You are so absolutely correct, while this job does offer the benefit of working the system, it would appear it has also lead to abuses. Hard to think of someone who is not out for medical or personal reasons to disappear for over 2 months and still considered to be employed by the company and you know that is happening in PHX as we speak.

I will agree with others on the board as to more nefarious views of part-timers by those within the East, in particular, the IAM. My view is one of the desire for dependency upon this job as one's sole source of income to create an absolute, unyielding dedication to the collective. Any so-called "union" with atomized individuals acting on their own will lack the constitution to respond with tough resolve. Part-timers are a threat to unity as they typically have other income options to being a FSA or view this job as a temporary arrangement of convenience. While the objectives are noble to provide a unified front, I question placing employees into the position of being completely committed and inflexible with an occupation having an uncertain future, especially at this company.

Finally, to my Dear Mr. Roabilly, as you asked me some time ago to provide education/career guidance as those with a four year college degree enjoy a far lesser chance of unemployment than those lacking a bachelors degree. According to the morning fish wrap, the unemployment rate for those with a bachelors degree or higher has reached the highest level since 1992 at 4.1% which relatively speaking is still a fairly modest level, and would not be considered a recession type figure if it was universal. My point being and to answer your question, find a subject you enjoy and work it into a bachelors degree keeping in mind that the fields related to medicine and education are still expanding. I once considered a Bachelors of Sophistry/Rhetoric, but I would have earned a BS'R degree. :rolleyes:

So Revels Jester.

Does anyone remember a letter of understanding from US Airways Express about hiring Furloughed fleet workers from the 2005 contracting out slaughter? I'm still on furlough and have applied for a position wth Piedmont.

As usual "O", you know where I'm coming from because of where we've been.

I can see where you guys are coming from. 30 years seniority is jurassic! Nobody over here comes close to that and P/T's would probably seem like a threat to person that has made a career here. But I look at is as with this US airline structure and the former AWA penny pincher managment I can't see them having a ramp with "only" P/T or "only" F/T rampers, just a combination of both.

There have been times when business was slow at my other job and I was grateful to be able to rely on my gig at US and work some extra hours to pick up the slack. I don't know how things worked as far as drops/trades with workbrain at your station but for a long time we had unlimited and it was a pretty sweet deal. A F/T could work 3 doubles and have the rest of the week off..Not saying everyone wanted that but the flexibility was nice. Thats another thing that was confusing when this new contract was voted in. Alot of people in phx read the part in the contract that said "maximum drops is 26 a quarter but local station could be less restrictive" so alot of people thought things would stay the same. I was skeptical myself and here be what it is today.

It is already starting. The TUS station is going, slated for May 4. I would expect to see more, too. According to the contract,Article 3(a), the Company reviews station minimums every April 5. Section 3© further specifies when outsourcing can occur. Look at the Spring schedules for many of the West stations, and low and behold, the large number of regional jets on the schedules!! HMMM! Personally, I thought TUS would have been a safe city for a while on the simple basis that they are (or were) the primary diversion station for PHX during monsoon season. Let's see a contract company handle 5-10 diversions!

............................................................. Thats another thing that was confusing when this new contract was voted in. Alot of people in phx read the part in the contract that said "maximum drops is 26 a quarter but local station could be less restrictive" so alot of people thought things would stay the same. I was skeptical myself and here be what it is today.

This is a really good example of why scope is so important. If it isn't promised in clear precise terms don't count on it.

The wording was changed when the second T/A proposal came out to read like this to give the impression that unlimited swaps would remain intact.

Is there a link to the first TA still around? I would like to see it for the differences of what we have now.

Does anyone think there will be a mass contracting out of stations in the west like 2005 in the east?

It is an oversight or act of charity that this has not been done yet. ICT, COS, LGB and others must feel the Sword of Damocles hanging over their head. If folks at those stations hear from their managers that there are no furloughs planned and their jobs are secure, they need to update resumes. We were told at our stations such things and three days later we received furlough notices. :huh: Not outsourced, just cutting fat - but you get the picture.

When the passenger service agents were negotiating there transition agreement, America West had partimers working 8 hour shifts three days a week. HP’er wanted to hold on to this. Proposals were introduce to protect the full time work force with management denying job protection. Some HP’er didn’t get it. SWEET deal
for PT’er if it could have be worked out.

Passenger service agents had contract language that VTO qualify for determining the weekly 40 hour qualifier for over time. This language put a whole different perspective on VTO. Passenger service agents lost this in bankrupt’s II
Just trying to show the similarites in the work groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts