New F/A Announcement Book

Not to be a debbie downer, "... be stowed prior to closing the aircraft door" is correct. It's a tense called "present subjunctive". I learned English as a second language and spent a lot of time with this tense... not trying to be a smarty pants, just informative :)

"Please review the Safety Information card in the seat pocket in front of you."
Is one expected to pull themselves into the seat pocket and review the card?

"Place larger item in the overhead compartment and smaller item under the seat in front of you."
There are two mistakes here:
1.) "Overhead compartment" should be plural (how many overheads are there on each aircraft?).
2.) "Item" should be plural.

"Federal Regulations require that carry-on items be stowed prior to closing the aircraft door."
Mistake: Incorrect usage of the verb "to be."

I could go on, but don't have the time. My point is that the folks in Tempe DO and HAVE had the time. And still they printed and shipped a poor product without the assistance of technical writers or proofreaders. Don't even get me started over the lack of punctuation contained within the book. It's as if a 16 year old text messaged the entire document.

Not to be a debbie downer, "... be stowed prior to closing the aircraft door" is correct. It's a tense called "present subjunctive". I learned English as a second language and spent a lot of time with this tense... not trying to be a smarty pants, just informative :)
I am thinking that since the word "item" is not plural.... there is only one right? Then only one can go in one overhead bin. Hence the reason for the singular overhead bin. If the wording were..." Place you Items in the overhead bins", that would be correct at well. :rolleyes:

Back