New F/A Announcement Book

Welcome to my career. It's always been this way, reinventing the wheel that is. AWA was always that way. Reinvent the wheel and it comes out worse than anything Fred Flintstone ever had.

But I have to say it's not as bad now as in the past. East crews would argue otherwise, but there's a lot of East policy and procedure that was adapted as best practice (or least path of resistance).

Oh, and we hated monitor challenge in the beginning. We're just accustomed to it now. And as for the Red strap? Stupid! and the guy who master minded it is no longer with the company. HEHE
PS.

To the
"monitor. and Challenge... is not an East Practice... we were told it came from the WEST... WE...I State... have never done such a stuid thing.... its a laugh... we were told that prior to the meger that the west had never had a slide deplyment.. and that we needed to take on the west procedure

s][/s]proce

PS.

To the
"monitor. and Challenge... is not an East Practice... we were told it came from the WEST... WE...I State... have never done such a stuid thing.... its a laugh... we were told that prior to the meger that the west had never had a slide deplyment.. and that we needed to take on the west procedure

s][/s]proce

PHX-FA never said that it was an East practice. Monitor and challenge was a West procedure that was implemented about a year before the merger. Yes, the West FAs reluctantly put the practice in place and our inadvertent slide deployments became virtually non-existant.

We know that the East thinks it's a laugh because 99% of the slide deployments since the merger have been on East aircraft. One only has to look at the aircraft registration in the photographs of the gate slide deployments, or the engine type on the Airbus, or the city where the slide deployment occurred. Yes, we all know that many of you still think it's one big joke and can only picture you giggling at the doorway as the slide blows and then the flight cancels.

When we look at the photos of the slide hanging from the 2R door of an East A319 or A320 in our Must Read Book, we get a chuckle ourselves because we know that the joke is on you for not following a simple procedure. Hopefully there will not come a day when a gate agent or ramper is killed by a BF Goodrich inflatable because someone did not follow a "tried and true" procedure because they found it laughable.

As ridiculous as the West thought monitor and challenge was at first, we did it anyway and actually saw positive results. From the standpoint of someone actively involved in Flight Attendant Air Safety, Health and Security, "monitor and challenge" is one of the very few things that the braintrust in Tempe has actually done right.

The folks in Tempe suffer from the worst case of, "Smartest Guy in the Room Syndrome" I've ever witnessed. Their particular strain of the disease is one born of arrogance. In their world how could a lowly union person possibly know spelling & grammar better than one of their MBA kids.

You see this in virtually everything they do.

The folks in Tempe suffer from the worst case of, "Smartest Guy in the Room Syndrome" I've ever witnessed. Their particular strain of the disease is one born of arrogance. In their world how could a lowly union person possibly know spelling & grammar better than one of their MBA kids.

Right on the money. They take that approach and belief with EVERYTHING they do from trash bags to operations. The employees are NEVER, EVER right. Get use to it. :angry:

PS.

To the

s][/s]proce

PS.

To the

s][/s]proce

Must not be that big of a laugh or joke because Slide Deployments due to InFlight are practically non exsistant. Look at the numbers for 2010. There were TONS of Slide Deployments before the procedure was introduced system wide. It works as silly as it is, and honestly as silly as everyone thought the red strap is, I think we will see even fewer slide deployments in 2011r.

If they suffer from that disease, they are fortunate to have a much more mild case than a significant number of people on this site.

If they suffer from that disease, they are fortunate to have a much more mild case than a significant number of people on this site.

I don't know if your comment is a snarky swipe nor do I really care if it is. One of the interesting things about my last ten years of work life has been the travel and meeting owners and presidents of probably 600 companies along with yet another 600 large customers of those previous mentioned and it's actually rather amazing to observe how they operate.

Oddly enough one way to gauge the attitude towards employees was the offerings at the company cafeteria. I eaten lunch in some corporate cafeterias that were equal or better than what was offered in nearby restaurants. Other places the employees were ashamed of their facility and told us so as we drove to lunch. The even more interesting part was is that theiir seemed to be some correlation between Profitability and Quality of food.

I visited one Corporate HQ and there were logo's of there key customers on the wall in back of the reception area. US was one of them. This particular manufacturer position in the marketplace for its product is that of the price leader. The equipment is cheap and it shows. AFIK all of US has or will shortly have these products that are widely considered junk.

With the F/A booklets they accomplished several things:
1. Saved cash with their DIY approach
2. Didn't design the publication correctly so now it doesn't fit in a uniform pocket
3. Implied through 2 that employees don't factor in to their equation
4. Clearly demonstrated that in all things, 1 takes precedence

What managers in this type of organization forget to factor in is what would be the cost of redesigning & reprinting if the F/A's raise a big enough stink. It's the old "Never enough time to do it right yet plenty of time to do it over" mantra we often hear. Funny thing is when you look at WN. I often think when I read about the length of time they take to implement changes. Often I think, "Jesus what ya waiting for?" This is because to do it right, once the first time which technically makes them the cheapskates but it's transparent to the customer. Having observed WN over the years my bet is if it came time to develop a new handbook the F/A's through their union would be involved.

All companies have a "Culture" and US is developing a reputation of a cheap organization that doesn't serve its employees or customers well. Can a company survive with that reputation? sure they can, but a better question is can they thrive long term?

They want to create a "culture" yet throw the wedge between relations. It is NOT the flight attendants but managements rule by the iron fist mantra that makes it bad. Not that it works but it cause the issues we see today. The book supposedly had f/a involvement yet nobody knows who. That book is terrible and the fact that we're talking about an announcement book for pages and pages here is a true testament to Tempe behavior. They break and ruin EVERYTHING they touch.

They want to create a "culture" yet throw the wedge between relations. It is NOT the flight attendants but managements rule by the iron fist mantra that makes it bad. Not that it works but it cause the issues we see today. The book supposedly had f/a involvement yet nobody knows who. That book is terrible and the fact that we're talking about an announcement book for pages and pages here is a true testament to Tempe behavior. They break and ruin EVERYTHING they touch.
My Dear Travelpro, You mean They do not possess The Midas Touch? Clutch My Pearls! A REVISION is Coming.............or shall We say A REWRITE. (Hopefully THIS ONE is AIRLINE Edition :lol: )

My Dear Travelpro, You mean They do not possess The Midas Touch? Clutch My Pearls! A REVISION is Coming.............or shall We say A REWRITE. (Hopefully THIS ONE is AIRLINE Edition :lol: )

Really? I guess they are waiting for when all the TWEEN GENIUSES will be out of the office ......you know - SPRING BREAK. That way the grown ups can sneak in and re-write the announcement booklet before they find out.

Quick !!!! Before they all return and have another one-sided focus group in PHX for their closest work BFFs.

Like I said.

ALWAYS enough time and money to do it over, yet NEVER enough to do it right, once the first time.

Now then boys and girls can you say:

Just another example of the high cost of cheap

I knew that you could.

Like I said.

ALWAYS enough time and money to do it over, yet NEVER enough to do it right, once the first time.

Now then boys and girls can you say:

Just another example of the high cost of cheap

I knew that you could.

Unfortunately in order for anything to be done right the first time would mean that they would not be able to justify the importance of their management position. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately in order for anything to be done right the first time would mean that they would not be able to justify the importance of their management position. :rolleyes:

Ahh Yes indeed!

In order to be seen as a "Problem Solver" one first needs to have problems to solve. So, failing any real problems one must therefore create problems where none previously exists.

You do realize Sally that your ability to draw these conclusions means you are a likely candidate for management? LOL

Back