US Pilot Labor Thread--11/16-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we could only go back in time.

Though I was only indirectly involved I can say what the west was willing to put on the table.

The consensus among the west decision makers was that the existing wide body flying had clearly been brought to the table by the east and they should have protected access to that flying.

With respect to east attrition and upgrades the west has always been more worried about the donwside than the upside. Fences protecting east base upgrades probably would have been possible, especially prior to arbitration as the west well knew that in an arbitrated outcome anything was possible. (i.e. the east actually enjoyed a strong negotiating position prior to arbitration. The fact that the east's only proposal was the west's worst case scenario meant that arbitration posed little downside risk for the west.)

Post arbitration the negotiating power did shift west from it's original position. Though the east would now have gotten less than prior to the award, much was still on the table. (There was one pilot in particular that made no bones about how he felt west saved east and he thought he was entitled to a widebody position but everyone else I talked to thought this dude was insane.)

Furloughs were forefront on the mind of west pilots and the DOH/LOS list with the C&Rs the east proposed would have resulted in a virtual staple for 3/4ths of the west list. (For anyone who has forgotten; the east C&Rs called for recalled furloughees to be re-furloughed if a RIF occurred within 12 months of their recall but if they stayed on property for 12 months the DOH list would be controlling and the bulk of the west list would go to the street in the event of a RIF. (For reference I was a lineholding 320 CA at PID and the east LOS list had four pages of furloughed pilots senior to my position.)

Because the west was very aware that the east was to say the least "disappointed" with the arbitrated outcome and they could vote no on a new CBA indefinitely there was still room for a negotiated outcome. Because the west was terrified of furloughs a re-ordering of the Nic list was not negotiable but conditions and restrictions to protect east bases and wide body flying were still very achievable.

The problem with the east's final proposal at Wye River was that it was the original LOS list. The west reps would have had to be certifiably insane to accept that proposal.

Because the west was terrified of furloughs a re-ordering of the Nic list was not negotiable but conditions and restrictions to protect east bases and wide body flying were still very achievable.
Why the obsession with furloughs ? Was it due to a potential merger w/United or just economic considerations?

Time to move to a new thread for the week. Please remember the rules from the first post in the thread.

Happy Thanksgiving all,

USAviation.com Moderating Team

Status
Not open for further replies.