Nwa Mechanics Strike

Former ModerAAtor said:
I'm more than satisfied to have just an experienced mechanic.  Carrying a union card doesn't makes them any more or less qualified.
[post="290030"][/post]​
<_< Who cares what your satsfied with!? :down:

local 12 proud said:
Yea they should have voted over half there rank& file out of a job, taking massive pay and benefit cuts for those who remain only to get raped again in CH.11! :angry: GO CRAWL BACK INTO YOUR MASTERS LAP AND BEG FOR SCRAPS STRATO!!!!!!!!!
[post="290013"][/post]​

Look ####, I don't work for NWA. I'm just an observer who's tired of seeing jerks like you try to drive good companies into the ground just to make up for the size of your equipment (or lack thereof).

Secondly, I beg for scraps from no one. I negotiated my own salary, benefits, etc. rather than counting on a bunch of lackeys who may or may not have my best interests at heart (do you think Steve MacFarlane or Delle-Femine are going to lose their jobs over this cluster-f**k?). If I don't make as much money as I can, I have no one but myself to blame. If my employer decides my talents are no longer needed, I just take them somewhere else.

I just have to wonder how much money this strike is costing NW? First, they hire and train scabs, lodge them, pay them for not working and now paying hotel and meals I would suppose. Second the 'book away' factor. Third the 'early fall reduction.' In some of the pictures online, as I don't live in MSP or DTW there sure seems to be numerous planes just sitting, and no lines at the counter. These pictures would support the 'book away' and 'early fall reduction' have had some effect on the dollars coming into the company.

So now that AMFA is out on strike, who is next in the line to go out? Since the company has already started with training scab FA's, is the logic they are next?

I wish each AMFA member the best in this time of trial!

scuba said:
In some of the pictures online, as I don't live in MSP or DTW there sure seems to be numerous planes just sitting, and no lines at the counter....
[post="290057"][/post]​

I wonder if the photos/clips you saw were current? The reason I say this is that on both the local news out here (and some national news spots), they've been using stock airplane/airport footage from the '98 pilot strike, when nothing was moving.

:down:
Hopeful said:
Eastern Airlines hired scabs too!

Remember Eastern Airlines?
[post="289776"][/post]​
:down: Yes and what happened to all those fine folks. The airline went BK and everyone lost out. All I am saying is be carefull This is not a good time for this strike with record fuel prices making it difficult for some airlines to survive. You have my sincere respect and I wish you all a speedy resolution

Stratocruiser said:
Look ####, I don't work for NWA. I'm just an observer who's tired of seeing jerks like you try to drive good companies into the ground just to make up for the size of your equipment (or lack thereof).
[post="290045"][/post]​
Nice language... not

If your just an observer why would you get so upset over whats happening at NWA? Me thinks your a troll and have nothing better to do with your life but try to make others as miserable as you are. Dont go away mad.... just go away.

Have a GREAT DAY :)

PineyBob said:
Intelligent response! Consider this as you pontificate from your lofty peak.

If indeed the company was managed correctly then NWA wouldn't need any unions on the property would they?

Well managed and enlightened companies don't have unions because they understand the value of people to an enterprise.

Another thought to ponder, while your "Equipment" is in your hand (I meant the remote, gutter mind). Yesterday it was US Airways, today it's the AMFA at NWA. How long before they come for your wages?
[post="290055"][/post]​

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the fact of the matter is that Delle-Femine, MacFarlane, etc. couldn’t care less about people like you. They have one overriding goal; increase their membership. Bigger membership = more union dues = fatter paychecks for them. That’s why once they realized NWA wasn’t going to bend they decided to sacrifice all 4,500 of you so they could stand in front another airline’s Mechanics and claim that they “stood-up to Northwest.†I can only hope one of the Technicians in the audience has the guts to clear his throat and ask “but aren’t all of the NWA Mechanics out on the street now?†If you don’t believe me, ask Delle-Femine and MacFarlane what sacrifices they’re going to make for essentially failing at their jobs (if I failed to reach an agreement to keep my organization going, I’d be fired).

PineyBob said:
Well 53% were going to go if they accepted NWA's demand. So why not stand and fight. What if anything is to be lost?

When you're faced with a lose lose proposition why not pick the losing proposition that hurts the other side as much as possible?

Another point for all of my FF Brethren to ponder. We all say how great the front line folks are on our carrier of choice, yet I wonder how many of us on the FF side are booking away from NWA in supposrt for the workers who serve us well?
[post="290022"][/post]​
:down: :down: :down: :down: u Know PINEY, YA just don't get it do ya!! Hello, wake up bud trying BEING an airline employee and dealing with this and not a SELF important FFocus bafoon!!! No amount of explaining to folks like u helps!!! Maybe we can all find about ur REAL line of work is and then we can comment on ur job...whatever this is!!! Let airline employee freely vent without the likes of U!!!!

PineyBob said:
If indeed the company was managed correctly then NWA wouldn't need any unions on the property would they?

Well managed and enlightened companies don't have unions because they understand the value of people to an enterprise.
[post="290055"][/post]​
Bob I agree with you here, but have one point to make. Unions are traditionally stronger in regulated industries. Regulated industry, company doesn't have to be as competitive because the market is not free, and thus a union forms to maximize their members wages. The company doesn't much care because it is regulated, it just passes its costs on. So we have several companies in a mostly deregulated industry that all started back when it was regulated. No union wants to be dismantled, they like the dues. Perhaps your cause and effect is backwards- maybe if there were no unions on the property NW could have been managed better. Not saying it is the case, just something to think about.

Hopeful said:
To all of you anti union hooray for the management types out there, I have an offer for you.

Why not just offer to work for minimum wage with no benefits and have 100% employment!

Enjoy that $32.00 an hour with OT, scabs, it will be short lived!
[post="290020"][/post]​

I am curious if beyond the $21.00 an hour up to $32.00 including overtime, Plus the $2000 signing bonus and the hotel and I believe a meal stipend?, how much of this is taxable?

whlinder said:
Bob I agree with you here, but have one point to make. Unions are traditionally stronger in regulated industries. Regulated industry, company doesn't have to be as competitive because the market is not free, and thus a union forms to maximize their members wages. The company doesn't much care because it is regulated, it just passes its costs on. So we have several companies in a mostly deregulated industry that all started back when it was regulated. No union wants to be dismantled, they like the dues. Perhaps your cause and effect is backwards- maybe if there were no unions on the property NW could have been managed better. Not saying it is the case, just something to think about.
[post="290078"][/post]​

Thats rediculous. Even when the airline industry was regulated airlines competed. And despite the propaganda airfares tended to decline during the regulated era due to increased efficiencies created through technological advances.

Is the construction industry regulated?

Name: Joey
Email:
Employer: x nwa
Station: St Paul
Date: Saturday August 20, 2005
Time: 12:40:24 AM

Comments
I hear NWA is starting to call back some of the laid off former AMFA members that they liked and are offering us jobs for 25 an hour to start with a bonus if we show up by Monday.

Is their any truth to this?

If NWA is successful at eliminating the mechanics with a temporary service than what will happen with flight attendants, baggage handlers and the many other positions?

Checking it Out said:
Name: Joey
Email:
Employer: x nwa
Station: St Paul
Date: Saturday August 20, 2005
Time: 12:40:24 AM
Comments
I hear NWA is starting to call back some of the laid off former AMFA members that they liked and are offering us jobs for 25 an hour to start with a bonus if we show up by Monday.
Is their any truth to this?

If NWA is successful at eliminating the mechanics with a temporary service than what will happen with flight attendants, baggage handlers and the many other positions?
[post="290157"][/post]​
Perhaps they will start an OSM program and try to bring all mechanics back CIO!

The writing is on the wall people. This really isn’t about Northwest against AMFA. This is the old school airlines against the unions. If Northwest survives this strike and bankruptcy great. If not oh-well one of her sister carriers will pick up the pieces at a discounted price and be even stronger. While at the same time membership in AMFA is dropping like flies off a dead corpse. You people have started the beginning of the end of big union influence on companies. Your forefathers of the 20's and 30's would be proud. You let AMFA draw you into this blind because someone got their feelings hurt. I have no sympathy for ignorance and apparently neither does the other unions.

Latest posts