Scabs

Status
Not open for further replies.
scabs at work

just to quote a few lines...

Additional violations found in the FAA reports include two separate instances in mid-September when replacement mechanics in Detroit installed the wrong nose-wheel assemblies. One of the improperly fitted jetliners flew eight times before its nose wheel and tire assembly were replaced, according to the reports.

From the article:

"In Detroit, on the first full day of the strike, all four tires blew on the right main landing gear of a Boeing 757 when it touched down. An FAA investigation determined that a replacement mechanic "disturbed" the plane's brake-control cable while trying to reach a sensor before the flight."

Funny, isn't this the one that PTO has repeatedly claimed was done by an AMFA AMT?

Scary article. Shoots big holes in Dougie Stealin's infamous quote; "Everything is flawless".......Noooo its not Dougie!

Its also strange how some FAA incident reports are disregarded by Scab Air management.

"Northwest said the airline's own review of the event does not support the conclusion reached by the FAA inspector." Geez, that's no surprise!

....."FAA reports include two separate instances in mid-september when replacement mechanics in Detroit installed the wrong nose-wheel assemblies."

Isn't Detroitlet where PlaytheCods is a SUPERscab? Like 'Cods says; "This profession is what it is"......at Scab Air, apparently it is dangerous, incompetent, and FAILING. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Just because you guys want to believe you have to be a mechanical genius to work in this industry doesn't make it so.
This is the Individual who has repeatedly stated that being a NWA Mechanic is a "Joke" that the work is "Petty" and that anybody can do the work as if to imply no real training is necessary. the same person who boast of a two day engine change, who has admitted to violation of maintenance procedure's [ie:] Illegally servicing a unserviceable Lav!

Makes one pause and wonder what other Maintenance procedures have been violated at NWA by replacement workers.

I mean changing a tire on a 757 is no different than changing one on your ford pickup Huh PTO! Just some braun and a cheap chinese tote tray are all that is required. Maintenance Manual?, who needs one of those huh PTO!

Piney your anxiety of boarding one of Red Tail's birds is well founded, and I say follow your Gut Feeling. and BTW I would'nt expect to much from the FAA until one is planted in a field somewhere, After all they are a Government Agency!

Thirdseat you guys keep making a big deal out of it. I could care less if it had taken a week but I am sure you clowns would have had a great time with that one. I would be embarrassed to be an AMT if you think I am a first grader in the aviation industry.
You could care less if it took a week? By your own claims the SCABS are doing a better job than the AMFA Mechanics on strike. You thump your chest about what an easy job it is working NWA Maintenance, yet it takes you two days to do an engine change?...who is it again spending all the time loafing?...Yea PTO your saving NWA alright, One Engine at a Time :lol:

Personally I am embarrassed come to think of it! Just the thought of the flying public coming into contact with you makes me wish I had chosen a different career path!

The returning AMFA Guys didn't quiet know what to think about how things were being operated now. Especially how close we work with management. After stepping back and looking at it, it does appear somewhat strange. For ninety percent of the day management does exactly what we tell them to do. This also puts management in the position of knowing exactly what is going on at all times. It is an accidental arrangement that has proven to be extremely efficient.

[deleted by moderator]
Who are you trying to kid pencil whipper? You are a management tool and nothing more. and now you are not only a SCAB Mechanic, but you also manage the carrier? :lol:

Your above statement just confirms how far outta touch you are with reality.

boy it sure is funny that we dont see PTO on here defending his "fixing of the NWA planes" Like I said earlier in this thread or another, NWA with its SCABA$$ MGMT and MAINTAINCE is a disaster waitin to happen

Damn, I don't even know where to start. So lets start with the article,

FAA inspectors reported 83 suspected maintenance and avionics violations at Northwest from the first day of the strike through Nov. 30, according to documents released to the Star Tribune. In the same period in 2004, the agency's inspectors reported 63 suspected maintenance and avionics investigations.

I find it strange that none of you commented on 63 violations for the AMFA AMT's. Lets see here 63 violations with very little FAA oversight. 83 violations for the Scabs with ten times the oversight. If the Scabs are as worthless as you guys like to say that they are, wouldn't the numbers be even higher than that? Keep in mind that before coming here I had never been ramp-checked. I think the count is up to five now for me. Either the scabs are nine times better than the AMFA AMT's or the AMFA AMT's are nine times worse than what you believe the Scabs are. Take your pick.

Additional violations found in the FAA reports include two separate instances in mid-September when replacement mechanics in Detroit installed the wrong nose-wheel assemblies. One of the improperly fitted jetliners flew eight times before its nose wheel and tire assembly were replaced, according to the reports.

I have received the wrong tire assemblies from stores and caught it before I put the tire on the aircraft. However I can see where this could happen and I am sure it has happened at every single airline that flies DC-9's. The assemblies are different but the difference is only in the outer design of the tire. It has been awhile since I have dealt with the nines but I have no doubt that you guys will be more than happy to correct me if I am wrong and set the record straight. The -30's have chines on the outer edge of the tire and the -50's just have a straight tire. The chines simply deflect water and that is it. they add no structural strength to the tire at all. Cut the chines off and you have a -50 tire. Now they do have different part numbers, so even though either tire can safely be used on either model it is wrong to put an incorrect part number on any aircraft unless the proper paper work has been approved.

In Detroit, on the first full day of the strike, all four tires blew on the right main landing gear of a Boeing 757 when it touched down. An FAA investigation determined that a replacement mechanic "disturbed" the plane's brake-control cable while trying to reach a sensor before the flight.

Northwest said the airline's own review of the event "does not support the conclusion reached" by the FAA inspector.

Yes Kev this would be the one. I must agree with Northwest on this one. The FAA's conclusion is way off on this one. That doesn't even make a bit of sense. "Disturbed a cable" I would really like to see the final on this one.

In the second case, all four tires on the left main landing gear of a different Boeing 757 went flat when it landedNov. 6 at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport. The case still was being investigated, but the inspector noted in his initial report that Northwest had deferred making repairs to the plane's anti-skid system, auto-speed brakes and auto-brakes. Deferring certain aircraft repairs is acceptable when FAA regulations are followed.

Wow, there is a lot of information here. Why did they go flat? When did they go flat? Before take off? In flight? When it landed? During taxi? What was the condition of the tires when they were removed? Destroyed? Or just flat? I would like to see the final on this one also.

Striking mechanic Steve Sutherland said the increase in suspected maintenance violations since the strike began is evidence that quality has declined.

Under the circumstances I beg to differ, the numbers speak for themselves. We have a brand new work force here with intense FAA scrutiny. Most of the AMFA Boys are 15 and twenty year veterans with very little oversight. Yet we only got 20 more violations? I would have expected a larger difference than that. I am really surprised to see the AMFA numbers so high, them being the "real mechanics" you know.

scabs at work

just to quote a few lines...

That just goes to show you how worried about the maintenance the pilots are. Eight times they failed to do a proper walk around. I guess I should ask which swap was done. Was the -30 assembly on a -50 or was the -50 on a -30? There is a big difference.

"Northwest said the airline's own review of the event does not support the conclusion reached by the FAA inspector." Geez, that's no surprise!
Isn't Detroitlet where PlaytheCods is a SUPERscab? Like 'Cods says; "This profession is what it is"......at Scab Air, apparently it is dangerous, incompetent, and FAILING. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Why don't you show us Hackman? Pull out a manual and show us where "disturbing a cable" is going to lock up one set of brakes. Show us how this can be done. Then show us why it wasn't noticeable to the tug guy on pushback. Then show us why it wasn't noticed by the pilot on taxi and take off. Then show us how it magically locked up the brakes on landing with no problems before hand. Certainly a union mechanic, a "real mechanic" can shed some light on this "disturbed cable" that actuates brakes at its discretion.

PTO,
I've pretty much ignored you because frankly I don't respect you or your actions.
I didn't realize you had such strong feelings for me PineyBob. I do appreciate you taking your time and enlightening me on my character flaws.
That being said I want to respond regrading the "Closeness" with which you work with management. You may or may not be a fine AMT, I've no idea but you are ignorant of the dynamics of a large company.
In a sense you are correct. Though I might not know all the dynamics I do have a huge concept of what is required. For example people often wonder how I can keep up with everything required in building houses or apartment complexes. To me it’s not that big of a deal. Yet when I walk through this terminal here, all I can see is the huge headaches generated coordinating all the contractors for all the different systems installed here. Though I have never built an airport terminal I fully understand what it took to make all of this come together. I can take that experience and translate it to any industry. So I do not believe ignorant is the right word.
Points for you to consider:

1. Management sets the tone and demeanor of an organization. Given that where did all the rancor between IAM and later AMFA start?
I think it started with the unions and its members. The unions demanding insane work rules and the members for abusing them to the point that management was rendered inept. I think one of the biggest things being the unions taking absurd cases to arbitration and winning. I think this has created a feud between labor and management that has escalated over the years that no one knows, remembers or cares when it started. They just know that they are bitter enemies.
2. Management HAS to work closely with you. Who else will they get now? Bring back the AMFA? Hardly. So the company is "Working with you very closely" not because they respect you but rather because they have no choice. By their attitude toward AMFA they have made it abundantly clear how they feel about hourly workers. Calling F/A's vending machines with arms tells me what I need to know.
NWA has an opportunity to turn its management/labor issues around. I think they are doing a fine job of it. I really don't think management has had a relationship with its employees for a very long time. It has been the company having a bad relationship with the union.
3. What happens when they emerge from BK and you aren't so valuable do you think they will continue to make nice or revert back to their 30 plus years of bad behavior that caused the workers to unionize in the first place?
I don't think there was ever a real reason for the AMT's to unionize. I think its just the geographical location that they thought they had to be union. Tell me one craft up here that isn't unionized. As far as the management reverting back, I don't think so, not the lower management any way. The upper management has put forth some really bad ideas in the new policies that many of the contractors are not happy with. Time will tell how that works out. I do foresee NWA losing some really good mechanics if they try to closely enforce some of those policies.
Sure you have a short term gain now. But what of the future? Unions will one day make a comeback and where will that leave you in your chosen profession?
I do foresee unions being needed again one day. Not now though. It is people like me that are assisting in the downfall of the current defunct unions so that new ones will be formed with the members best interest at heart and not be some means to make some con-artist rich. As far as my future goes, I am not worried, it will be well situated.

B.O.B., why do you feel so threatened by me?

That's funny! Threatened by you? Ha, Ha, Ha! Why would I be threatened by you? I don't work for NW and I am not a mechanic.

But, I am a UNION MEMBER and damn proud of it! I support my fellow UNION brothers and sisters at NW. I just like all UNION MEMBERS, hate SCABS like you!

Status
Not open for further replies.