New F/A Announcement Book

I suggest calling the FAA and pointing out the shortcomings of this new, "improved" manual. Specifically, let them know how it is impacting your ability to do the job you are LICENSED to do. File an ASAP form, just for grins, and wait for the oh-so-sincere boilerplate letter thanking you for your input (which will be promptly ignored.

The call to the FAA, though, will likely rattle some cages in the right location, i.e. Tempe.

There is an FAA whistleblower program if you want to remain anonymous. Well, supposedly anonymous.
Perhaps a telephone call mentioning the fact that we are mandated to give passengers incorrect information regarding exits on the A330, just might raise someone's eye. Hmmmmm....

Perhaps a telephone call mentioning the fact that we are mandated to give passengers incorrect information regarding exits on the A330, just might raise someone's eye. Hmmmmm....
I believe one of the first pages of the new announcement handbook is a page with the signature of the FAA representative that reviewed and approved the book. Who would be at fault?

Oh dear....that announcement book. Unfortunately, I think a group of flight attendants were put together to re-write this......ugh.
Actually you ARE correct. My supervisor in PHL told me that it WAS put together by a committee of F/As and that she is getting numerous complaints. In addition she said they are having a round table meeting to discuss our concerns. Must have been some F/As that had a chance to be off line and on a committee and they are aspiring to get into a mgmt. position because the book is awful!!

My concern is for SAFETY. In the event of an emergency we are to pull out the card in our manual and read it over the PA. The announcement in the IEM starts with the seat belt--as it always has--but the announcement in the new booklet starts with the card. I believe it is a safety concern to not have one mirror image another. If you demo the seat belt first in an emergency then you should demo the seat belt first in every day life. In an emergent situation, people could be panicking, not listening, asking questions, if there's been a decompression it could be very loud. We should not be thinking "what do I demo next."

I sent an e-mail to AFA MEC Safety chair and the response I got was that an Alert bulletin would most likely be forth coming. Way to step up to the plate on that one AFA !!! An alert bulletin will not solve the problem. A reprint of either the way it is in the booklet or IEM needs to be done so they both mirror each other. If it isn't then the FAA should be notified.

Actually you ARE correct. My supervisor in PHL told me that it WAS put together by a committee of F/As and that she is getting numerous complaints. In addition she said they are having a round table meeting to discuss our concerns. Must have been some F/As that had a chance to be off line and on a committee and they are aspiring to get into a mgmt. position because the book is awful!!

My concern is for SAFETY. In the event of an emergency we are to pull out the card in our manual and read it over the PA. The announcement in the IEM starts with the seat belt--as it always has--but the announcement in the new booklet starts with the card. I believe it is a safety concern to not have one mirror image another. If you demo the seat belt first in an emergency then you should demo the seat belt first in every day life. In an emergent situation, people could be panicking, not listening, asking questions, if there's been a decompression it could be very loud. We should not be thinking "what do I demo next."

I sent an e-mail to AFA MEC Safety chair and the response I got was that an Alert bulletin would most likely be forth coming. Way to step up to the plate on that one AFA !!! An alert bulletin will not solve the problem. A reprint of either the way it is in the booklet or IEM needs to be done so they both mirror each other. If it isn't then the FAA should be notified.
CORRECT ON All Points! WHOMEVER is responsible for this P-a-t-h-e-t-i-c attempt at "Revising the Announcements' needs a good swift Kick in The Arsce!. (They obviously read the story of "Maiszy the Amazing Rat" one time Too Many!) The notion of SHORTENING the announcement was VERY Much appreciated but C-H-A-N-G-I-N-G the flow of the Announcement was Plain Stupid........there was nothing wrong with the previous FLOW, now it has you jumping all over. A friend of mine did an 'etra trip' and said he never saw ANY consistency on what was being read (new/old/revised/rewritten/reinterpreted/BS versions) that he said No More "D" trips for him. The PreBoard announcement is THE Biggest F'n fiasco.......and with THAT rendition of the announcement "Why in the hell would You even bother with an Exit Row Briefing?". With that announcement and LACK of ANY Real Content, the Gate Agent should come on board make a PA "Boarding Is Complete, and Now Your Crew will be Boarding the Aircraft". The Safety Demo has some serious shortcomings (Kind of Like the Esteemed Mgmnt Regieme that resides in The Desert). The reference about the Life Vest.........horrendous. Why not just say "should the aircraft end up in the water..........Swim to the nearest shore". The Level Off is so Short it comes across as Cold,aloof and as vanilla as possible, yet the garbage referencing SkyMall makes you think MACY*S has an onboard outpost and You the passenger are really missing out "IF" you don't check it out. Team Tempe and all the Minions that channel their way thru the Revolving Doors they call Corporate have made Countless Blunders, Missteps and Flat Out Screwups at more times than I CAN COUNT. I have never seen such a COLOSSAL D-i-s-c-o-n--n-e-c-t in an organization. As a former School Teacher, I will state.......before ANYONE on their self proclaimed Committee even addressess Revising The Announcement Booklet, they LEARN How to Construct a proper Sentence.........as in usage of Nouns, Verbs and Adjectives or just Call It A Day..........have another Margarita out there in The Desert and "Just Shut The Hell Up". And They want Verbatum..........."like Hell Yea.........I want to Look Like the Idiot You Are!" Sign Me Up Fool! :ph34r:

I believe most would be quite content to read from a book as long as it wasn't filled with gibberish. I tried to read from the damn thing during my trip but couldn't wrap my tongue around what they wanted me to say. I'm sorry but whomever was involved with the writing of the demo , welcome aboard with no real "welcome aboard", and level off need to be OFF that committee. The demo part about the lifevest is so over the top terrible I can't even describe, simply HORRID. You'd have to hear it to get the full effect and understanding. I don't know if this has been mentioned but flight attendants don't read the flight number or destination until the start of the demo. Ummmm isn't it a little late if your onboard the WRONG aircraft already on the taxi out? This is typical of what we have seen in many other areas touched by this merger. I for one WILL NOT be made out to sound like a moron with no understanding of the English language while reading from their mumbo jumbo announcement booklet. Has anyone brought up the fact that it's a BOOK and you can't/shouldn't hold it during takeoff/landing? :rolleyes: It never ends does it?

I believe most would be quite content to read from a book as long as it wasn't filled with gibberish. I tried to read from the damn thing during my trip but couldn't wrap my tongue around what they wanted me to say. I'm sorry but whomever was involved with the writing of the demo , welcome aboard with no real "welcome aboard", and level off need to be OFF that committee. The demo part about the lifevest is so over the top terrible I can't even describe, simply HORRID. You'd have to hear it to get the full effect and understanding. I don't know if this has been mentioned but flight attendants don't read the flight number or destination until the start of the demo. Ummmm isn't it a little late if your onboard the WRONG aircraft already on the taxi out? This is typical of what we have seen in many other areas touched by this merger. I for one WILL NOT be made out to sound like a moron with no understanding of the English language while reading from their mumbo jumbo announcement booklet. Has anyone brought up the fact that it's a BOOK and you can't/shouldn't hold it during takeoff/landing? :rolleyes: It never ends does it?
Youare So Right........as Always Pumpkin! I would like to Know Who Were the Circus Clowns responsible for THIS MESS. Step Forward.........Take a Bow........Now You will be Tarred and Feathered. WHO are this Idiots?

Youare So Right........as Always Pumpkin! I would like to Know Who Were the Circus Clowns responsible for THIS MESS. Step Forward.........Take a Bow........Now You will be Tarred and Feathered. WHO are this Idiots?
:lol: For the Love of God even I am prone to misspellings due to being subjected to that P*ss Poor Announcement Booklet. Question of The Day.........."WHO ARE THESE IDIOTS?" Inquiring Minds would like To Know? Salmon Pink Linens......? I like Pink and I eat Salmon. :lol: I don't see a problem.

Oh the salmon colored lines are on their way. Talk about 80's. Wait, maybe they can find little white plastic swan napkin rings to place on the tray. Not that an airplane cabin is a restaurant but if they like to TRY and pretend they're high end why not tell me what $$ or $$$ restaurant has pink/salmon liinens. The Village Inn maybe? :rolleyes:

If they want these things to be verbatim so badly, the why don't they simply load all of the aircraft entertainment systems (old boarding music channels) with the damn announcements! Just press a button like the E-190 and just be done with it. At least that way, I'm not the one who looks like a complete and utter moron.

I want names and bases.

I want names and bases.
Trust Me "the Names will be Protected to HIDE the Guilty". As it ALWAYS is. That infamous person 'Not Me' will never surface. Now on the otherhand, "IF" that New Announcement Book, shall we call it the Coca-cola Scroll :lol: were a Raving Success, you would see All The Partipating Circus Clowns sitting in Group Formation with some silly arsced smerk on their mugs just asking to be B'yatch slapped. And They probably feel like "they really constributed" and reinvented The Wheel in the process. The Names will never be disclosed and I highly doubt ANY of these Clowns would have the audacity to say "I rewrote the announcements".........but then again, There are Some Pretty Dumb people that are pretty much unaware of their OWN Abilities, or shall we say LACK Thereof. The Book is a DUD..........luckily it's BINDER Form and CAN/Should be ammended Q-u-i-c-k-l-y.

The following are the contents of an email that was forwarded to me. It's to Barrington Johnson, AFA Safety Chair, and was written by a PHL based F/A. I'm looking forward to hearing the answers to the questions that were asked.

Hi Barrington,

Happy New Year! My question is regarding the flow of the new announcement booklet we are now required to carry. The new demo actions do not mirror the actions that we follow in the emergency manuals verbatim pull out section in the event of an emergency. As you probably know, we now demo the safety card first and then the seat belt second in the new book however has anyone addressed the fact that this does not match what actions we would be taking if we removed the card from our emergency manuals and followed it as we are supposed to do in an emergency? If we did so, we would be demoing the seat belt first the way we have always done it.

During the strees of an emergency as we are trying to calm passengers, etc I think we should not have to think which one comes first and they should both be identical. I have no idea who thought that since the old announcement wasn't broken that they should fix it but I think this is truly a safety concern that should be addressed. I spoke with PHL Inflight Supervisor Laura Aiello today and she agreed with me and saw the reason for concern.

In addition with regards to the life vest announcement, the way I read it, if the a/c is life vest equipped but you are not going over water all you do is tell them how to take it out of the package. If however you ARE operating over water then you proceed to tell them how to use it. there is a lot of confusion about how this is to be read.

Another question is why this little booklet is now an FAA requirement when SWA can make their announcements off the cuff just as long as the safety information is included. The way I see it is that it's another way for the company to discipline those who misplace theirs and another way for the company to make a buck charging the F/A 10 bucks to replace the one they lost. Is the union addressing this?? In addition, why is Coca-Cola is printed on the back of the booklet. Is that an FAA requirement too???

If you want names and bases just go on wings and find the issue of inflight weekly that listed the name of the FA's on the special teams.
Let the Witch Hunt BEGIN! Super Sleuth Travelpro will have them EXPOSED for All The World to see..........I say let's use those Pink/Salmon linen's destined for ENVOY to Bound and Gag them under a laser Spotlight and slap them repeatedly with a wet Leather glove. (Actually sounds like it could be Fun!) :lol: Reassign them to rewrite the CREW CASH announcements............I regularly hear LOTS of BS and Misinformation (actually LIES) from some of Those People too.

Back