Thanks For The Sick Out

Borescope said:
Ah, but if you look into history, that is exactly what our ancestors did to get by. Remember the saying "what goes around, comes around"? This may be that time in history :up:
[post="233814"][/post]​

If you'll also remember, when our ancestors were being worked 16 hours a day, it gave rise to the labor unions.

A couple of questions - I'm not unionized, and it sounds from some of your posts that you aren't either - keeping that in mind:

1. Do you work 16 hour days as a routine part of your job, just like our ancestors did? If not, you owe a bit of thanks to the unions that fought for a reasonable workweek and decent work conditions. And I do thank unions for that.

2. Have you taken 2 paycuts in under two years? Most all of these U workers have. And it would have been kind of nice to see management take paycuts of a similar percentage to show that they too had some skin in the game. But instead of pay cuts, they get retention bonuses.

The poor condition of US is not due to a handful of employees calling in sick last week. It's been sick for quite some time. The employees tried to help out by giving back pay and benefits and agreeing to work 16 hour days...all for the good of the company. But the ones who helped a sick US get even sicker are rewarded with retention bonuses. IMHO, US is going to fail - maybe the actions in PHL will speed up it's demise, but this ship has been headed for the rocks for a couple of years now, and the captains at the helm have done little more than set course for the reefs and order the engine room to go "all ahead, full". And for that piss poor leadership, they are rewarded.

The overtime should be the exception, not the rule. I see it happening to agents and rampers to often at other stations, not just PHL. This has to be fixed. Soon.
476, oh yes we can judge. These low lives screwed me, my fellow workers that showed up, our p/x's and this company. They didn't have the balls to call in and say I'm not coming in today and hung up. I could respect that. No they lied, and stealing from the co. is part of what they did as well. They are without shame and should be booted. Speak to anyone that worked those days in PHL. Agents,ramp,pilots. It was pure hell with the lid off.

jbragg476 said:
Ok, I am really getting sick of all this BS. No one here has a right to judge anyone for any action they chose to make for themselves. I don't care who called off sick or not. No one here can judge those people. They made a decission that was right for them, just like anyone else here would have done if they made a decission. Society now adays is ALL ABOUT ME. That's life. I chose to make myself avaiable and fly from the 23-current. That is my choice, but I have no opinion on those who chose to call out for whatever reason. Everyone's situstion is different and until you begin living other peoples lives, who are you to come on here and blast people. Those of you who do should be ashamed. You know exactly what kind of company we work for and what shape it is in right now. I really enjoy working here and will be sad if it finally closes shop, but unfortunatly none of this is in my control. As none of it is in your control. If you choose to stay here and tough it out as I do, that is your business. If it falls, you are lying to yourself believing that you never saw it coming. Do not judge others... Mind your own business and quit your armchair B*&tching.
Thank you to all who continue to support US. Thank you to all who are doing what they can to come to work and continute to do a good job. And to those who did call in sick, you have your reasons and you should not be crucified by anyone. it is between you and the company.
[post="233790"][/post]​

I beg to differ. You say noone here can judge these people. I'm here; and I say I can. Who am I to come on here and blast people? I am one of those who was affected by their actions. You say I should be ashamed for judging them; I say I should be entitled to do so. You say do not judge others, mind your own business, and quit your armchair bit@hing. I say, aren't you judging me for judging them? It is my business when what they do has an affect on me; and, since it is having an affect on me I think I do have the right to do a little armchair bit@hing. Besides, isn't that what you're doing? You say to those who called in sick, you have your reasons, and you shouldn't be crucified by anyone. I say if it wasn't because you were sick you should be crucified by everyone. You say it's between them and the company. I say it's not just between them and the company; it's between them and their fellow employees as well. After all, they're the ones they fu@ked in the a$$!!! :down: :down:

The Lazarusman
FSA Lead
USAirways DFW

TheLazarusman said:
I beg to differ. You say noone here can judge these people. I'm here; and I say I can. Who am I to come on here and blast people? I am one of those who was affected by their actions. You say I should be ashamed for judging them; I say I should be entitled to do so. You say do not judge others, mind your own business, and quit your armchair bit@hing. I say, aren't you judging me for judging them? It is my business when what they do has an affect on me; and, since it is having an affect on me I think I do have the right to do a little armchair bit@hing. Besides, isn't that what you're doing? You say to those who called in sick, you have your reasons, and you shouldn't be crucified by anyone. I say if it wasn't because you were sick you should be crucified by everyone. You say it's between them and the company. I say it's not just between them and the company; it's between them and their fellow employees as well. After all, they're the ones they fu@ked in the a$$!!! :down: :down:

The Lazarusman
FSA Lead
USAirways DFW
[post="234681"][/post]​

You are so right Big L,

I am sick and tired of the constant excuses for poor behavior and those that feel we have no right to voice our disapproval. There is NO justification for screwing people over at Christmas. Besides those that think they're actions were justified, I can't think of a soul who approved of such behavior. No matter who takes the blame for the Christmas fiasco, I only hope the AFA passes their T/A, because God knows what little sympathy this judge (all 2% worth) did have has flown out the window. And please, none of the working harder, longer days, blah, blah, blah.

The remaining holdouts best put in their earplugs because the sound of the gavel will pound with an iron fist and you can kiss your contracts goodbye. I feel badly for the innocent ones who WILL get screwed. As long as unions continue to defend the likes of the Christmas Spoilers and fight to get their jobs back, this company will continue to go down the sh!tter. Management is alot to blame, but to pull this is stooping to the level for which most b!tch about here on these very boards.

ALOT OF F/A'S KNOW THEY ARE GONE IN MARCH OR APRIL SO THEY FIGURED SHOULD I WORK XMAS AND THEN GET LAID OFF OR SICK IT AND STILL GET LAID OFF. SORRY THATS HOW IT WORKED.

cokeorsprite said:
ALOT OF F/A'S KNOW THEY ARE GONE IN MARCH OR APRIL SO THEY FIGURED SHOULD I WORK XMAS AND THEN GET LAID OFF OR SICK IT AND STILL GET LAID OFF. SORRY THATS HOW IT WORKED.
[post="234748"][/post]​

Sounds like those with the most to lose (senior folks) should have volunteered to work over Christmas instead of bitching out the junior people who you threw under the bus . . . . .or was this another case of "screw you, junior people" and "bust you butt so I can keep my job."

Winglet said:
Sounds like those with the most to lose (senior folks) should have volunteered to work over Christmas instead of bitching out the junior people who you threw under the bus . . . . .or was this another case of "screw you, junior people" and "bust you butt so I can keep my job."
[post="234754"][/post]​

No, it's a case of hoping that just maybe enough people will take the buyout that they may move up in senority. I dare anyone with RSV by their name on a trip pairing to
b!tch about getting time in. AND to assume that they are not going to have a job is ignorant. None of us may have a job come January 16, so what makes that group special?

Enough of the excuses!! Had management kept their part of the deal that was to implement the new reserve system with the preferential bidding system, the reserves may not be feeling the same today, but NO....as usual, the ink wasn't dry and the bad faith started, so Winglet, I respectfully disagree with you on this one. The reserves were wrong, wrong, wrong on this one but the responsibility with creating that hostility belongs with upper management. I'll point out the unions faults as well, but a little homework is needed here. Don't put all the blame on the senior folks. They did their job. Don't fault them for actually HAVING senority to have off. Had the RSV done THEIR jobs, we wouldn't had been short...PERIOD!! :angry:

First,

You are partially correct. However, the sick calls were the same, (mostly rsve) nonetheless, we had discussed the sick issues last year with managment as we do every year.

Holiday coverage is tuff in every airline. Management made a huge mistake in blaming the employees. Probably the biggest management blunder of all times.

They admit it after they investigated. As you know, no mention of sick abuse after "big mouth bruce" ASSUMED that was the reason.

Probably some managment types were trying to point the finger our way to save their jobs from the wrath of the U BOD. They gave Bruce misinformation at the get go.

Enough with the blame, I'm over it. Management admits they messed up and let's get it together, and move on. I believe management has learned the lesson of a life time, that you just can't run an airline on the "cheap", cut staffing to the bone and expect them to handle the load on the busiest travel time of year, not expecting some scenerios that could devestate the business. I think that NOW, management is more focused on employees and customer service equation then at any time in our history. More so than any other airline.

We need to focus on our loyal customers FIRST and then branch out to the traveling public.

The sharks are definitely in the water.

Winglet said:
[post="234754"][/post]​

Some of us "senior" f/a's couldn't come out and fly on Christmas because we had vacation and they did not offer vacation fly back until it was too late to go on the bid sheet. I sat at home on Christmas, I had too many hours to fly any more and would have gone out on a trip. As soon as I found out about fly back, I flew the 26,27,28,29, and 30. So don't lump us all in your "screw you" bunch.

Oh, and by the way, I thanked all the RSV's I flew with for being there over the holidays. And I did all the coach service on the short hops to give the others a break. I knew they had been out since the 23rd and were exhausted!

PITbull said:
First,

You are partially correct. However, the sick calls were the same, (mostly rsve) nonetheless, we had discussed the sick issues last year with managment as we do every year.

Holiday coverage is tuff in every airline. Management made a huge mistake in blaming the employees. Probably the biggest management blunder of all times.

They admit it after they investigated. As you know, no mention of sick abuse after "big mouth bruce" ASSUMED that was the reason.

Probably some managment types were trying to point the finger our way to save their jobs from the wrath of the U BOD. They gave Bruce misinformation at the get go.

Enough with the blame, I'm over it. Management admits they messed up and let's get it together, and move on. I believe management has learned the lesson of a life time, that you just can't run an airline on the "cheap", cut staffing to the bone and expect them to handle the load on the busiest travel time of year, not expecting some scenerios that could devestate the business. I think that NOW, management is more focusted on employees and customer service equation then at any time in our history. More so than any other airline.

We need to focus on our loyal customers FIRST and then branch out to the traveling public.

The sharks are definitely in the water.
[post="234766"][/post]​

AGREED!! :)

PSA1979 said:
Some of us "senior" f/a's couldn't come out and fly on Christmas because we had vacation and they did not offer vacation fly back until it was too late to go on the bid sheet. I sat at home on Christmas, I had too many hours to fly any more and would have gone out on a trip. As soon as I found out about fly back, I flew the 26,27,28,29, and 30. So don't lump us all in your "screw you" bunch.

Oh, and by the way, I thanked all the RSV's I flew with for being there over the holidays. And I did all the coach service on the short hops to give the others a break. I knew they had been out since the 23rd and were exhausted!
[post="234770"][/post]​

Bingo.

1979, you are the best!

Happy New Year to you, my friend. :)

It all boils down to this. Some employees weighed their options. First option: Call in sick and get to spend time with my family since USAirways is a lost cause anyway, or Second option: Work like a dog over Christmas and miss being with my family in a vain effort to save a cause that is lost anyway.

So many people here (on these forums) just DO NOT get it. Many employees are convinced that USAirways is a goner and are making their decisions on that basis. IOW, the customer be da#!ed, the company be da#!ed, and management be da#!ed.

In their minds they are NOT causing the demise of this company, rather living through its death throes as best they can.

And I agree.