Thanks For The Sick Out

Well nyc,

I think that if that thinking is out there, why wouldn't f/as just ratify the agreement, as there is options for an "out".

Why leave with nothing. In this T/A, though highly concessionary, it has a wage that folks wo want the job can keep, an "out" for those who want a different existence with a package for travel (need the company alive to have that), and retirement incentive for those who wanted to leave but were afraid of losing their income. Well, that income has changed, and if the pieces of the assumption on this T/A come together, the reserves will have an opportunity to move up to lineholders permanently for the first time.

No growth on mainline, therefore, this was the only way. And even if the reseve f/a decides to leave, no matter how junior, they can take the "out" as well.

In this instance, there maybe a chance for the 1,700 f/a that were INVOLUNTARILY furloughed years back, to be "recalled" back.

So, I don't believe all is in peril. Its up to every employee.

All the employees ever needed was respect and consideration from mangement as valued assets, and a fair wage for the sacrificing that continues every single day by every employee. Consider this, its our THIRD consession. Does that appear that we want the company to end?

No one is looking or wishing for demise. We want our passengers back.

TheLazarusman said:
I beg to differ. You say noone here can judge these people. I'm here; and I say I can. Who am I to come on here and blast people? I am one of those who was affected by their actions. You say I should be ashamed for judging them; I say I should be entitled to do so.
[post="234681"][/post]​

OK. You are right.

When you know the details of a particular individual then you can judge them. Until then you look like a silly school bus driver who stops the bus and scolds everyone because you think someone was fighting, when in reality a few bees flew in the window.

Cheers,

OK, I've read all this slamming of the employees who called in sick over and over and I want to add my two cents worth now. I'm sorry but once again, the employees get blamed for an INADEQUATE Management. These sick calls are nothing new here at US or in the Airline Industry over the Holiday period. Take a look at the astronomical number of sick calls American F/A's had over the same period last week, according to their own sources on these message boards, it was around 2,000 sick calls! What's the difference? They have adequate staffing on their property to handle this situation, plain and simple! This company HAS NEVER been able to provide an adequate staffing level for as long as I can remember. You can't tell me that they could not look at years past and try to pre plan this years course of action. Especially, with the beaten down labor group this year, wouldn't anyone with the least bit of foresight expect the absenteeism to be a little higher than average this year? Hello, is there anybody in there? :unsure: This whole vacation flyback for F/A's should have been effect from December 1, given past history and staffing levels!

And as for the ground personnel that called in sick, how long do they have to beg for adequate staffing? I mean c'mon OT is nice every now and then, but everyday working 16 hours! The Company has known about this problem in PHL FOREVER! Why don't they do anything about it? Isn't this supposed to be the crown jewel of the US system? How pathetic is it now that we have to forego catering on most flights now based on PRIORITY, because the staffing level is inadequate! I'm sorry, you can blame the employees all you want, but the TRUE blame should be placed on a PATHETIC management! :down:

Phoenix said:
OK. You are right.

When you know the details of a particular individual then you can judge them. Until then you look like a silly school bus driver who stops the bus and scolds everyone because you think someone was fighting, when in reality a few bees flew in the window.

Cheers,
[post="234779"][/post]​

It was my intent, and if I didn't make it crystal clear before...let me do so now, to direct MY comments and opinions at those who MIGHT have played hookey that day. Not a generalized tirade at all who felt the need to stay home from work. To use your words, my anger and frustration was directed at the "so called 'few bees' " who flew in the window and had an affect on everyone. Furthermore, I was trying to narrow down the "details" of particular individuals, and limit my comments to them, when I said I was irate at those who MIGHT have played hookey; forcing the rest of us to pick up the slack and carry their dead weight. Phoenix, I hope you can see that I wasn't standing on a soap box and screaming; just to hear the sound of my voice.

God Bless you all and your families. Good luck in 2005!!!

The Lazarusman
FSA Lead
USAirways DFW

PITbull said:
All the employees ever needed was respect and consideration from mangement as valued assets, and a fair wage for the sacrificing that continues every single day by every employee. Consider this, its our THIRD consession. Does that appear that we want the company to end?

No one is looking or wishing for demise. We want our passengers back.
[post="234777"][/post]​

PITbull -

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing I would like more than to see USAirways survive, grow and kick butt. For me, it would be the path of least resistance to just stay here, although I am fully prepared to continue a comfortable life in USAirways' absence.

And I agree when you say, " All the employees ever needed was respect and consideration from mangement as valued assets." Do you think your TA embodies that concept? Do you think that USAirways is, or is about to, move one iota in the direction of respect for employees?

As you say, this is your THIRD concession. Do you HONESTLY think it will be the last if USAirways survives more than a month or two?

nyc,

Your questions are very valid and piognant.

At this juncture, I am focused on "customer perception". After all, without them, all is moot.

From being in this business for so many years I truly believe "customer perception" is:

"Managements will come and go....U employees are lifers.

If the customers don't trust the "front line" workers...the airline will cease to exist.

I also think that the company had an "epiphany" this holiday.

I have hope that things will change.

PITbull said:
From being in this business for so many years I truly believe "customer perception" is:

[post="234818"][/post]​

PITbull -

Sorry, but I think you give the customers WAY to much credit for perception. I've been in the business a long time too...25+ years. Except for our treasured frequent flyers (most of whom were wise enough to stay home with family last week,) the average leisure customer have no idea that "managements come and go," nor where or when.

But I do think that the company had an epiphany. Again. And they will summarily ignore THIS epiphany like they have ignored every other one over the past 15 years.

nyc,

I meant to say "poignant". I edited it above...sorry LOL....

My keys on my computer are wearing away and stiffening from all this typing through the last few years. I type so fast now that often times I am typing and the key doesn't quite go down. I have to press hard.

PITbull said:

If the customers don't trust the "front line" workers...the airline will cease to exist.

[post="234818"][/post]​

Well, we certainly don't fly US because of management--it's all because of the frontline people. Poor customer service gives us no reason to fly the airline. If management hasn't had that hammered through their heads, then they should start the auction now.

PB, you said in another post that PHL workers are not as nice (I am paraphrasing so forgive me) as CLT or PIT workers because they are so understaffed. THat may be true, but why take that out on the customer? Treating the customer terribly is not going to change the situation and it is not going to get you a lot of sympathy from the customer. That's the problem--customers may think they know what is going on, but we don't know the whole story--all we see is someone who is miserable with their job and isn't very pleasant to deal with at the gate or ticket counter.

US1YFARE said:
-all we see is someone who is miserable with their job and isn't very pleasant to deal with at the gate or ticket counter.
[post="234857"][/post]​
What is needed is like in “I Robotâ€￾ where people are all treated with dignity and respect even if the robot is being abused, trouble is, this isn't a movie but real life with real people who are not robots. Walk a mile in their shoes, "employees" and try smiling 8 hours a day, day in and day out under their circumstances. If you can do it, then you are a robot.

US1YFARE said:
PB, you said in another post that PHL workers are not as nice (I am paraphrasing so forgive me) as CLT or PIT workers because they are so understaffed. THat may be true, but why take that out on the customer?
[post="234857"][/post]​

US1YFARE, it's a Philly thing. I was born and raised in the area; thank god my family moved because it is a rude place. I know I am not being 'politically correct' in saying all that but that's my personal take. That being said, there are areas outside of Philly that are much more pleasant; however, the city attitude is just nasty. (Note to Piney: where you live is much nicer...so don't take it personally ;) )

EyeInTheSky said:
US1YFARE, it's a Philly thing. I was born and raised in the area; thank god my family moved because it is a rude place. I know I am not being 'politically correct' in saying all that but that's my personal take. That being said, there are areas outside of Philly that are much more pleasant; however, the city attitude is just nasty. (Note to Piney: where you live is much nicer...so don't take it personally ;) )
[post="234865"][/post]​

i disagree. I work in cc and love it. it's a lame excuse. when I fly UA or MX in PHL, it's different--are they imports? i have flown through LGA and had gate agents treat me INCREDIBLY and go beyond what any reasonable customer would expect--but because of those types of people, I fly US--even when the ticket (on leisure tix also) are more expensive.

The robot comment above is such an easy retort but is really meaningless. when you are in a customer service job, you are there to give good customer service--that's the way it works. If I treated my clients poorly because my managers treat me terribly, I wouldn't have clients anymore--and once you lose those clients, it is very very difficult to get them back--and it is the clients who pay the bills.

US1YFARE it's not just US Airways personnel. Go get a pretzel in the airport and you'll get worse service. There's just something about Philadelphia...

EyeInTheSky said:
US1YFARE it's not just US Airways personnel. Go get a pretzel in the airport and you'll get worse service. There's just something about Philadelphia...
[post="234877"][/post]​

Now, come on, that guy who sells egg sandwiches in the B concourse is pretty darn nice.

Latest posts