IAM Fleet Service topic 6/21-6/27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me out east guys and gals,

When you had cargo did you have team leads with that group and if so what positions, responsibilities etc.?

P. Rez

Yes we did. They made out the daily schedules and assignments.

Rogue

Also they have limited administrational responsibilities short of discipline and acces to employee files. No written consultations only verbal direction. Why do you ask? It spells it out in the contract...............

I hope someone can answer this question for me.
I work at a very small station, less than 30 emloyees (Ramp and Gate). Needless to say, being as small as we are, some of us have to wear more than one hat when it comes to duties.
We have a situation where a FLEET agent is picking up available overtime as a CSA/CSR agent, doing our payroll, is also our trainer and is doing some of the administrative duties i.e. hiring/interviewing etc.
is any other SMALL station going through something similiar? We have other agents that don't agree with this agent doing all of the duties and want to grieve this.
Can this particular agent say they're grandfathered into these duties since it started before contract ratification? Is it up to manager discretion what they let slide by?
I need advice on this people....STAT.

I work at a very small station, less than 30 emloyees (Ramp and Gate). Needless to say, being as small as we are, some of us have to wear more than one hat when it comes to duties.
We have a situation where a FLEET agent is picking up available overtime as a CSA/CSR agent, doing our payroll, is also our trainer and is doing some of the administrative duties i.e. hiring/interviewing etc.
is any other SMALL station going through something similiar? We have other agents that don't agree with this agent doing all of the duties and want to grieve this.
Can this particular agent say they're grandfathered into these duties since it started before contract ratification? Is it up to manager discretion what they let slide by?

DIOMK,

I'd say let a few people grieve it. Once the grievance is received, you'll find out real fast whether it is legal or not. If the company finds out that they are wrong, and they have to pay out free grievance money things will change in a hurry.

I'll say it again....Management only or their designee ( not a peer )has access to your file besides you. If this agent is at all going into files to update sick/vac/etc., they are not allowed to do so because of personal information.....Take it from there...............

Without briefing myself on when the westies fall under the east contract's job classification I will respond. Under the east contract it is fully acceptable for 'leads only' to do administrative duties that could include payroll work, trainor work. Hiring/interviewing crosses the line and is more akin to management. As far as picking up work outside the classification, I think it is fine provided it is done according to the contract's seniority/overtime provisions.

Any other committee members feel free to chime in. That's how I understand it.

regards,
Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman, 1487, Chicago

I want to tip my hat to the new direction team,
CONGRATULATIONS
I hope this breath of fresh air will bring the district back to life, no more mob boss mentality.
Farewell to those of the cheap suites regime, all I can sy is that some may have been
good but collateral damage took them down. For those who will be up for election in 2010
start doing your job, to keep your job.
Once again, congratulations on making history at the district level.......democracy in action

Without briefing myself on when the westies fall under the east contract's job classification I will respond. Under the east contract it is fully acceptable for 'leads only' to do administrative duties that could include payroll work, trainor work. Hiring/interviewing crosses the line and is more akin to management. As far as picking up work outside the classification, I think it is fine provided it is done according to the contract's seniority/overtime provisions.

Any other committee members feel free to chime in. That's how I understand it.

regards,
Tim Nelson
Tim

I am not a committe person, but as I understand this situation, I believe there is language that uses the word " Qualified" to designate jobs outside the classification. All those qualified should be in the pool and called in order of class seniority. No such thing as " grandfathered ". The point I was trying to make is that there is a responsibitity to protect personal info. You're right in that if I'm a lead with limited administrative duties than yes. If i'm an agent than I think that management has to re-evaluate that situation and assign a lead or above to do those duties.

JMO

Tim

I am not a committe person, but as I understand this situation, I believe there is language that uses the word " Qualified" to designate jobs outside the classification. All those qualified should be in the pool and called in order of class seniority. No such thing as " grandfathered ". The point I was trying to make is that there is a responsibitity to protect personal info. You're right in that if I'm a lead with limited administrative duties than yes. If i'm an agent than I think that management has to re-evaluate that situation and assign a lead or above to do those duties.

JMO
No lead or regular agent gets in the employee files or does a job that demands access to employee files without an immediate grievance. Payroll, training, and other 'reasonable' duties is all that is allowed. Definatetly no grandfathering on this subject, that would be called 'brown nose'.

regards,
Tim Nelson

diomk,

As far as the CSA/CSR work, that would be a CWA/IBT grievance, as it pertains to their job function and work rules. Since everybody is now all class I stations, our friends upstairs can't come down and help load bags, so why would we be allowed to go assist pax? I don't think we have any provisions for work "above the wing". I agree with Tim, the hiring/interviewing is a management function and shoud be treated as such. Any Lead agents doing this, like Tim sez, is a brown nose and should be called out on it. Not sure if that is a grievance or not. So have your inside people file it according to their CBA, on Fleet doing CWA/IBT work.

District Election Update: LGA

Canale's Team 2008 members don't even show up to respect to the LGA members. OTOH, even though The New Direction beat Canale's regime 'like a red headed step child', several of them still showed up to support and meet the LGA members. That's what the New Direction does.

Reports are that there was a very large turnout out of the 125 members with as many as over 50 voting. It is believed that LGA may even get an "ALL-Nelson" Award turnout.

regards,
Tim Nelson

The Canale finale is done.
LGA workers are awesome.
The count is going on as I write
Update to come.

Thanks,

Mike33,

Also they have limited administrational responsibilities short of discipline and acces to employee files. No written consultations only verbal direction. Why do you ask? It spells it out in the contract...............

There is no such thing as a Team lead at the cargo facility in PHX. Looking for past practice in the east.

P. Rez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back