IAM Fleet Service topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
the east doesn't have any cross utilized stations that I'm aware the ramp is either contracted out or is fleet service (IAM).

I would guess those stations will be converted to contract ramp .

Great the IAM's done it to the members again. Well there goes my raise plus some. Kinda funny though all the people they have on their payroll & what they get paid compared to us. Glad the AGC's got a raise when they didn't need one.

Give the members practicly nothing (unless your MTC) & then take back what you gave. I for one don't need their excuses on why they needed to raise our dues & when they send me my dues raise letter I'll put burn it so I can try to keep warm.

This is just another IAM shortfall.

I think that should be brought up? my guess for them raising the dues is due to their old leadership past FAILURES and their PRO MGMT and all the MEMBERS THEY LOST!

Its' been brought up before so :

Go get a ''dues objector card'' from your local and
sign it. Have them fwd. it to the Int'l and you become
a dues objector member. You give up your right to
vote in elections at the local and Int'l level as well as
any agreements (contracts) but you remain an IAM member
in good standing.
Your dues will refect a decrease but when
this increase becomes around they may just remain the
same amount minus the increase. You would save some
money.
(no matter how minimal)

You will have posters come on here and tell you its not worth it
but you need to ask yourself the worth.
I know I will remain a
full member because I'm active in the local but I would not harbor
any ill will to someone who needs that little bit of money for other
needs monthly. Roach and the Int'l feel the need to come to a depleted membership and ask for more when the lack of
representation or wage increases Do Not Dictate It.
This past wage increase was a step back to level and not a bump above it to ask for a increase.

Do what you feel you need to do for you and your family.

In Solidarity,
seekthetruth

The dues increase is actually minimal for some and a lot for others. Word is that dues will increase by $4.00 a month or $2.00 a pay check. Special dispensation has been eliminated so the new hires who make under ten bucks an hour pay about $5.50 a month less than everyone else. They will end up paying about $9.50 a month more starting January!

The delegates you voted to attend will probably have a packet that you can read when they get back.

. They will end up paying about $9.50 a month more starting January!

Pretty close to what the savings become when one becomes a dues objector!!! Once again it sounds like a typical IAM election!!! A show of hands for a vote like that....give us all a break!!! Maybe if Roach and Co would have taken a little cut when the membership was forced to take theirs, many would not be feeling the way they do now.

seekthetruth,

Go get a ''dues objector card'' from your local and
sign it. Have them fwd. it to the Int'l and you become
a dues objector member. You give up your right to
vote in elections at the local and Int'l level as well as
any agreements (contracts) but you remain an IAM member
in good standing. Your dues will refect a decrease but when
this increase becomes around they may just remain the
same amount minus the increase. You would save some
money.(no matter how minimal)

You will have posters come on here and tell you its not worth it
but you need to ask yourself the worth. I know I will remain a
full member because I'm active in the local but I would not harbor
any ill will to someone who needs that little bit of money for other
needs monthly. Roach and the Int'l feel the need to come to a depleted membership and ask for more when the lack of
representation or wage increases Do Not Dictate It.
This past wage increase was a step back to level and not a bump above it to ask for a increase.

Do what you feel you need to do for you and your family.

In Solidarity,
seekthetruth

This should not be an option for the following reasons.

1. You save $6 a month and can't vote on anything. No thanks, I want to vote for and against Union leaders and contracts.

2. The anti-Union political leaders created "dues objecting" as a punishment to Unions and I will not have any part of anti-Union rhetoric.

The IAM will suffer for this increase in dues when it tries to organize. I don't think they thought this through. They should have taken hits on their pay, cut some jobs and they should have caught up with the hundreds if not thousands of people not paying dues before they decided to levy this dues increase on its members. If there was a merger with another airline in the future for US Airways and the other airlines employees are non-union or another union, good luck getting them and current IAM members to vote IAM.

P. Rez

[quote name='P. REZ' date='Sep 11 2008, 06:07 PM' post='639508'

1. You save $6 a month and can't vote on anything. No thanks, I want to vote for and against Union leaders and contracts.

P. Rez
[/quote]

Sorry, just my personal opinion on what I have seen with the IAM is that your vote really does not count. The results "usually" come out the way they want....!!

Been on the IAM's side thourghout all the mergers so far, but if the opportunity arises again, and we have a choice of someone different, think its time for a change. I just think they have lost touch with the rank and file.

P rez is right , we should continue to pay our dues …. We might have lost THIS time , but who’s to say we can’t win next time ? Does anyone know when we might get another crack at lowering the dues or just maintaining them to make sure they don’t go up yet again someday ?

I can’t believe that they passed an increase right now , with the cost of everything going up , food , gas , you name it , for our own union to put a hike on us , that kinda hurts … I have to wonder , did they cut every possible cost before raising the dues …?

Two dollars or 4 more isn’t a lot for me , but I know it’s going to hurt some of the members out there ..

My opinion,
Sorry ''prez'' but I agree with ''ap''. If ''ap'' feels he needs
the money, no matter how little, and feels he's not really
represented now then its' ''ap's'' choice not mine or yours.
Our choice is made for ourselves and when people feel completely
disheartened by thier union, then they have that right to pay only
the amount needed to retain thier job.

I will not call anyone less union.... brother or sister for seeking to
save themselves some money if they feel the IAM has not met thier
needs and that thier voice is not being heard at these conventions.
I consider myself a union person but I also look upon this IAM, especially at the International level as a greedy money monster.
They fight to save thier ''big money'' jobs but ask us to agree to vote
out union jobs for the good of the group as a whole. Where was this fight for us ?

Removing Canale was a step in the right direction, actually a ''new
direction'' but I will not hold any bias to anyone seeking any way possible to provide for thier families by trying to find ways to
take home alittle more money. I'm not asking for the hope diamond but we need to strive to get back what was taken before
we raise dues. The dues structure should reflect the wages and in
fairness the dues are and will be more now ,than at any time.
We haven't received increases to mirror this.

Its' mentioned they need to retain thier right to vote. Well maybe they feel they just don't matter.''The needs of the many will
out weigh the needs of the few'
'but this just hasn't been the case.
The shoes of our leaders should be filled with a working man's
mentality and sadly this isn't the case, but we shall see.

Finally, if someone should decide to opt to sign a ''objector card'' they will continue to pay dues but at a less rate with no say
on thier reps or agreements.
THEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE DUES PAYING MEMBERS and can
always ask to pay full dues if they feel they will finally be heard.

Oil is selling for close to $100 now. The sky apparently is not
falling. Do you think the company will come back to us and
reflect this or will the ''powers that be'' give themselves bonus's
for saving the company once again off our backs.

Please remember this is only my opinion.

There's a better way.

Stop automatic dues witholding!

Then drag out your dues payments. Do partial pays, late pays, etc. Make the union spend time and money collecting your dues (cutting into their operating capital) and disrupt their cash flow.

This is the ONLY way to get IAM leadership's attention.

Actually, I have to give the IAM alot of credit for the democratic nature of its constitution that allows members to vote on contracts and officers. I know the IAM brothers and sisters at US AIRWAYS voted out 3 contracts and one referendum, while the CWA/IBT just bull rushed the contract without a membership vote. I think we have to continue working on making the IAM better and it has alot to rehab, but it's democratic nature is much much better than other unions. In 141, the membership voted out 22 union bloodsuckers. Try doing that with other unions.

The way to vote out officers or contracts is to get people across the system passionate enough to organize against 'union greed'. The trick is not to let the establishment beat you down. I always thought it was easier to vote out the union instead of voting out the officers, I was wrong, voting out officers is rather easy as long as everyone stops their bit*hing and does what they have to do to vote out bums.

regards,
Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman, 1487, Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.