Sign or Resign AMFA cards

AMFAinMIAMI

Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Miami, Fl.
As we all wait for the decision of the NMB the question is, are we the Mechanics of AA going to do what is needed to rid AA of the TWU and not bring or let the IAM/TWU assoc. here?

I hope that you all know now what the AMFA organizers said during the card drive about the TWU/IBT was for the most part true. I say that since I can't or don't know all of what everyone said at each station.

There were key individuals around the system here at AA who traveled to other cities to help with cards I hope that this time if we start collecting cards again there are more of you that will get involved so that we can remove the TWU once and for all.

Many of you have said anyone but the TWU, they need to go, Soon we will know what the ruling will be and I am hoping that everyone will help to get cards signed or resigned since the NMB has also said we will be getting our cards back.

How much more are you will to let the TWU do to OUR class and craft?

AMFA at AA.

Reactions: 9 people
If we stop posting so many comments on this board long enough to draft letters to the Senate and Congress, the DINO president, and NMB it would be a good thing. We should demand the NMB honor our AMFA cards or sue.

I hear the local presidents of the twu voted themselves a raise. They are now making 2500 dollars a month. Thank god we got our 84 cents an hour. The greed of the international is now at the local level. Get rid of this union enough is enough. I also heard one of the international bums is coming back to JFK what a round world it is HA HA HA

Reactions: 1 person
If we stop posting so many comments on this board long enough to draft letters to the Senate and Congress, the DINO president, and NMB it would be a good thing. We should demand the NMB honor our AMFA cards or sue.
Letters mean nothing to these elite asses that screw workers. They will take your letters and demands, and laugh all the way to the bank.

I hear the local presidents of the twu voted themselves a raise. They are now making 2500 dollars a month. Thank god we got our 84 cents an hour. The greed of the international is now at the local level. Get rid of this union enough is enough. I also heard one of the international bums is coming back to JFK what a round world it is HA HA HA
Not really. When the International decided to impose the new Local on the members of 561, 562, 563, 564 and 565 (and MCI) they wrote and imposed new bylaws. None of us were ever consulted in the formation of these original bylaws or pay structure. (which was much lower than what was in place, my pay was cut in half) When we got in office we told the International we could not work with those Bylaws and made many suggestions as far as changes. One change was the rates of pay, which when you factor in that the new Local had far fewer officers but the same workload meant much more work for those left in office. Once again they push for paycuts and more work from anyone but themselves.(other changes proposed included recall and a provision where if the membership went down so does our pay). I know I've been putting in easily 70 to 80 hours a week since the consolidation. My pay under the Internationals Bylaws came out to the equivelent around 44 hours a week. I believe they put these rates in place to discourage us from running in the hopes they could get their guys in. The rediculously low rates they put in were unacceptable and we-the board, propsed new ones, along with recall and pay adjustments where if the membership goes down then so does our pay. Personally. if we didnt get the rates changed I would have had to eventually step down, with one and college and two behind her I could not afford to work up to 80 hours a week for 44 hours pay.

The only one making $2500 is the President, I make $2000, which is $150/month more than I made as President of Local 562. For this year my total pay from the Union will still be less than it was in 2012. While my workload is easing up a little, the 80 hour weeks were driven by the workload generated by consolidating the Locals, getting 144 people in 18 different states from 6 different Locals on payroll, obtaining tax numbers for payroll in 18 different states and trying to manage five seperate offices in five different states, I expect that my workweek will still be around 60 hours a week going forward. So I feel the $2000/month is earned, its still less than I would make if I put those same hours in at AA but enough to help make ends meet. So yes the bylaws, and the changes were put in place without a vote of the membership, and we did not agree with that, or the provision where if a seat was vacated the runner up would take it, but thats what we have, they agreed to some of the changes we proposed, We didnt like the process but its what the International imposed, we would have rather had the opportunity to put together our own bylaws from scratch and put it to the membership for a vote, as we did in 1999, but that was not an option. For what its worth, If you feel that the these rates are excessive you do have the right as a member to propose changes to the Bylaws at any membership meeting.

Reactions: 3 people
That can't be? You mean the very people who scream about the lack of democracy are guilty of the same practice? No way. The ballot for voting on the bylaws will be coming soon I'm sure.

Not really. When the International decided to impose the new Local on the members of 561, 562, 563, 564 and 565 (and MCI) they wrote and imposed new bylaws. None of us were ever consulted in the formation of these original bylaws or pay structure. (which was much lower than what was in place, my pay was cut in half) When we got in office we told the International we could not work with those Bylaws and made many suggestions as far as changes. One change was the rates of pay, which when you factor in that the new Local had far fewer officers but the same workload meant much more work for those left in office. Once again they push for paycuts and more work from anyone but themselves.(other changes proposed included recall and a provision where if the membership went down so does our pay). I know I've been putting in easily 70 to 80 hours a week since the consolidation. My pay under the Internationals Bylaws came out to the equivelent around 44 hours a week. I believe they put these rates in place to discourage us from running in the hopes they could get their guys in. The rediculously low rates they put in were unacceptable and we-the board, propsed new ones, along with recall and pay adjustments where if the membership goes down then so does our pay. Personally. if we didnt get the rates changed I would have had to eventually step down, with one and college and two behind her I could not afford to work up to 80 hours a week for 44 hours pay.

The only one making $2500 is the President, I make $2000, which is $150/month more than I made as President of Local 562. For this year my total pay from the Union will still be less than it was in 2012. While my workload is easing up a little, the 80 hour weeks were driven by the workload generated by consolidating the Locals, getting 144 people in 18 different states from 6 different Locals on payroll, obtaining tax numbers for payroll in 18 different states and trying to manage five seperate offices in five different states, I expect that my workweek will still be around 60 hours a week going forward. So I feel the $2000/month is earned, its still less than I would make if I put those same hours in at AA but enough to help make ends meet. So yes the bylaws, and the changes were put in place without a vote of the membership, and we did not agree with that, or the provision where if a seat was vacated the runner up would take it, but thats what we have, they agreed to some of the changes we proposed, We didnt like the process but its what the International imposed, we would have rather had the opportunity to put together our own bylaws from scratch and put it to the membership for a vote, as we did in 1999, but that was not an option. For what its worth, If you feel that the these rates are excessive you do have the right as a member to propose changes to the Bylaws at any membership meeting.
You are the one that chooses to keep taking an oath to the TWU, and pretending you and your coworkers get some gain by your invovlement. I doubt your resolve or your desire for better pay and working conditions. But this post complaining about hours and pay working for the TWU makes me laugh out loud Bob.

Reactions: 2 people
So to get back to the topic at hand............

I feel that the NMB is being influenced not to make a decision anytime soon. Why should they? As everyday, every week and every month ticks away more cards are expiring in the hands of the NMB. I read on a post some where that the NMB will return AMFA's cards. Here it is already middle of September and no decision yet by the NMB.
We are better off signing new cards come the first of the year and move along as if the one year band is in place. The merger process is being delayed and a SCS will not happen anytime soon. USAir has a two year lockout since they had a vote. So they are out of the picture for now. Lets get a resign campaign going in 2014. Preferably in January. By the time August comes around we should have a good number of cards and I doubt a SCS will be in place. That is assuming a merger will move forward. Unless we are happy with the TWU and a possible Association between the two unions assuming a merger will take place we should get cards signed rather quickly. Did the TWU really save jobs? All they did was save their International officers company pensions from being terminated to PBGC levels.

So to get back to the topic at hand............

I feel that the NMB is being influenced not to make a decision anytime soon. Why should they? As everyday, every week and every month ticks away more cards are expiring in the hands of the NMB. I read on a post some where that the NMB will return AMFA's cards. Here it is already middle of September and no decision yet by the NMB.
We are better off signing new cards come the first of the year and move along as if the one year band is in place. The merger process is being delayed and a SCS will not happen anytime soon. USAir has a two year lockout since they had a vote. So they are out of the picture for now. Lets get a resign campaign going in 2014. Preferably in January. By the time August comes around we should have a good number of cards and I doubt a SCS will be in place. That is assuming a merger will move forward. Unless we are happy with the TWU and a possible Association between the two unions assuming a merger will take place we should get cards signed rather quickly. Did the TWU really save jobs? All they did was save their International officers company pensions from being terminated to PBGC levels.

1AA

As a organizer and long time supporter of AMFA, I have been involved with all the card drives here at AA. I have recently sent letters to both
Louie Key (Nat Dir.) and Aaron Hanson (Asst. Nat. Dir.) asking what is happening with our cards and what is the plan for a new card drive here at AA.

The response is that they have asked their legal counsel to ask the NMB again why the delay. They also said that it is time for us to take a step back and decide if we the mechanics of AA really want to bring change to AA, by removing the TWU. They have invested time and money in the past drives only to fall short in the number of cards to bring this to a vote. They have a letter that is being prepared which will be sent to all that they have email addresses for explaining what the goal of AMFA is and what next for us here at AA. This will be sent as soon as the NMB gives us a ruling.

The real question is what are we prepared to do? It has been quiet since the IBT has dropped their petition for a vote, as you and all that read this walk around your work area just how many guys are talking about getting cards signed or even getting rid of the TWU still?

How many of the guys at your stations are willing to step up and join in the fight?

How many of you have gone to the organizers of the past and offered to help?

How many of you have said well I just signed a card what else do you want?

How many guys in Tulsa are wearing the shirts and asking when are we going to rid AA of the TWU?

For the most part it has been the same core group of guys who have attempted to bring AMFA here, don't you think its time for everyone to get involved if this is what they want to happen? Just how many time do the same guys have to tell YOU (everyone) what will happen, just what the IBT is about, what the TWU plans to do or has done.

If AMFA is the union we want here at AA, so that we can remove the TWU then everyone needs to ask themselves what am I willing to do to bring upon AA this change?

Soon the TWU convention will happen a new leadership will be announced and a new vision/plan will be brought to us. How many of you are going to and be willing to give the TWU yet another chance? How many more times are we going to listen to the same ole stuff we will get em next time. Many of us her are getting to the age that there is no next time. Maybe some have one more contract. You will all see soon that the TWU will promise us a new and different TWU, are you going to give them that chance or are you going to tell them NO MORE, we have had enough and we are going to sign enough AMFA cards to remove you.

If the mechanics (all of them) auto/facilities/aircraft/shop/overhaul get involved then signing cards should take very little time. But if we the organizer have to have free tshirt days and burger burns, and stomp around the country visiting stations to get cards signed it will not happen. Then we will be stuck with the TWU and what ever the new officer decide to do to us we will have nothing to complain about. Just bend over and take it again.

Now is the time for us to either step get involved or just sit back on lap top row, watch tv, play cards, dominos, and let the TWU further destroy our careers with more concessions in our next contract.

AMFA at AA

Reactions: 1 person
That can't be? You mean the very people who scream about the lack of democracy are guilty of the same practice? No way. The ballot for voting on the bylaws will be coming soon I'm sure.
Yes I'm expecting that one to come right after the ballots to liquidate all our Locals comes. OOPPS, didn't see those ballots either.

You are the one that chooses to keep taking an oath to the TWU, and pretending you and your coworkers get some gain by your invovlement. I doubt your resolve or your desire for better pay and working conditions. But this post complaining about hours and pay working for the TWU makes me laugh out loud Bob.
Didn't want to sound like I was complaining, someone made a comment about the pay, I was responding to that. Glad to hear you got a laugh, my guess is you need to do that more often than you do, but I continue to think of myself as working for the members, maybe that's why they keep voting me in. I know the money that I'm paid comes from them, so if they ask why we asked for what we did I don't mind explaining why, should it have been put in front of them? Yes, but the International controlled the process, not us. We would have preferred that they left the Bylaws completely to us and our members like in 1999 and instead set up the basics like Tax numbers, a process for moving the assets over etc but that's not how it went. We had to deal with what we were dealt, and next week those who did this will most likely be gone. Funny thing is my peers out here on the line, the same people who consistently sign AMFA cards at a rate of 90% or better, are the same ones who tell me to keep pushing for change from within, the only ones who criticizes me for doing what I do is you, and Overspeed.

Reactions: 2 people
To see that the new officers of local 591 give them selves a pay raise without even the hint to the membership no matter what the hrs of work they have had to accomplish is just one more reason that the system of the TWU is and always be a IGM. They knew what the $$$ was going in to a point, don't you think? They also knew it was going to take time to get our new local set up.

Now we have an election of more TWU positions.

Did everyone know about the elections of officers at your station/region?
Did the interim union guys post anything, or was it just on the web site?
Did the same guy's get right back in?
If you did not know, (about the election) doesn't that tell you something about the new TWU? Are the new pay wages for union positions going to have a trickle down effect to the section/station/regional chair positions and then to the stewards?

Doing away with The baker letter was to force the union leadership back to the floor, has the company and the new TWU local come up with a new agreement?

Think about it, has there really been any change at your station with the new Local? Or has it just been a status quo?

Do you think that between NOW and the time our contract is up that there will be a difference made by the TWU?

Do you think that this virtual on line local and the behind the scene back door deals will increase even more?

Every day we all see things that we don't agree with, with the TWU. Just how much more are YOU going to take? Are You willing to say that enough is enough?

Are you "one" who will get a feel for what the membership at YOUR station wants and then step up to rid our class and craft of the TWU?

It does look like we are going to be forced to wait the yr, to refile cards, (just a guess on my part). If YOU, want to bring a Union here to AA that will make a difference, change the culture that has plagued us since 1946.

Will YOU get involved or even start the AMFA card drive at your station?

OR ARE YOU GOING TO JUST SIT BACK AND THEN WE ALL WILL BE STUCK WITH THE TWU ?

AMFA at AA

Reactions: 3 people
To see that the new officers of local 591 give them selves a pay raise without even the hint to the membership no matter what the hrs of work they have had to accomplish is just one more reason that the system of the TWU is and always be a IGM. They knew what the $$$ was going in to a point, don't you think? They also knew it was going to take time to get our new local set up.

Now we have an election of more TWU positions.

Did everyone know about the elections of officers at your station/region?
Did the interim union guys post anything, or was it just on the web site?
Did the same guy's get right back in?
If you did not know, (about the election) doesn't that tell you something about the new TWU? Are the new pay wages for union positions going to have a trickle down effect to the section/station/regional chair positions and then to the stewards?

Doing away with The baker letter was to force the union leadership back to the floor, has the company and the new TWU local come up with a new agreement?

Think about it, has there really been any change at your station with the new Local? Or has it just been a status quo?

Do you think that between NOW and the time our contract is up that there will be a difference made by the TWU?

Do you think that this virtual on line local and the behind the scene back door deals will increase even more?

Every day we all see things that we don't agree with, with the TWU. Just how much more are YOU going to take? Are You willing to say that enough is enough?

Are you "one" who will get a feel for what the membership at YOUR station wants and then step up to rid our class and craft of the TWU?

It does look like we are going to be forced to wait the yr, to refile cards, (just a guess on my part). If YOU, want to bring a Union here to AA that will make a difference, change the culture that has plagued us since 1946.

Will YOU get involved or even start the AMFA card drive at your station?

OR ARE YOU GOING TO JUST SIT BACK AND THEN WE ALL WILL BE STUCK WITH THE TWU ?

AMFA at AA
While I am a staunch TWU supporter you do make valid points. If these new officers back democracy then where is the leadership by example? All I heard when I asked reps in DFW is that they deserve a the money because they are representing so many members. Don't disagree with that but if their argument for the raise is valid then why do they fear the membership voting on their new salaries.

We can propose new bylaws to get voted on including their salaries? I suggest we all submit changes to the bylaws that reflect what we want and is within the TWU Constitution and DOL rules.

Monthly meetings are needed and we don't need the entire Exec Board their to run them. What are these new officers doing? I have called around and many of them never show up on the floor. As you say, what deal was cut with management to allow them to be out of the operation and get paid by AA? These guys were crying months ago that the UBB removal was a scam by Don V to break the locals. Then it sounds like either the TWU is paying them or AA is in contradiction to the new contract that was passed. AA not following through? Shocking! The current local 591 officers lying? Now that is even more SHOCKING!!!

This membership has got to hold these guys accountable. Only 25% of the nearly 4,000 members voted in the local 591 election. They local 591 officers know that and because we aren't bombarding their cell phones and emails with questions of what the hell are they doing and where do they get off being some kind of high cabal.

Contact them

http://www.local591.com/index.cfm?zone=/unionactive/officers.cfm