IAM Fleet Service topic (Mini Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't worry about them, they stole enough, I'm good,got friends in catering until they try to take that too, we deserve better,no insults intended,FLEET needs to stick togather...

"2. I am opting for what I know to be fact which is what is spelled out in the T/A (not heresay on this board)"

"Then vote YES because that's the word I got in my stn."

so which is it.. seems like a contradiction .. Hearsay on this board . but someone in your station is telling you to vote yes.

be sure you have all the facts.

Orioleman

For clarification purposes let it hear by be known, this board is all speculation and heresay and not necessarily to be used as factual information.

Just so you know and there is no misunderstanding:

95% OF MY CLASS I STN ARE A YES VOTE!!

I also am voting YES.

Whisperjett

Kool-aid is ok but I prefer my namesake, you should try it and get off the Branch Nelsonian kool-aid.

We had our informational meetings in LAS today. Poorly attended. No information was presented that will change anyone's minds.

On the West side of the operation the majority of our employees are part timers with other sources of income. The majority did not vote last time and they will not vote this time. Less then 30% of our total members voted last time.

The vote in LAS was split last time and it will be split this time. Those who are starving and cannot wait months for a better contract will vote yes. It is not because they feel this is a fair agreement... they vote yes because they need the money and who can blame them. Those who are better off financially, those who are worried about job security, and those who understand negotiations and contract law, will vote no. Our vote will fall exactly as it did last time.

What was painfully obvious today is that neither our local rep, nor our regional rep ( both are on the negotiation committee ), have the expertise or knowledge to successfully negotiate on behalf of the members. Let me be clear... this is not a personal attack on either of these gentlemen. They believe they are doing their best. However, the best they can do is not even close to what is needed to make this a fair negotiation. We need individuals who have contract knowledge, negotiating experience and the persuasive characteristics needed to stand up against the company professionals. The thing that was most troubling to me is that both these individuals displayed strong loyalty to the union hierarchy, while displaying very little concern to the rank and file members they represent. There needs to be changes made to the negotiating committee.

Our local rep stated that the union boss feels he can get this passed if he can get enough US west employees to vote. He stated they are going to try and have the LAS vote on site to increase the west employee participation. Additionally he stated he will allow voting up until 8:00 pm to make it easier for the part time employees to get to the airport and vote.

I like the idea of voting on site and I like the idea of extended hours. However, it is not proper to make these changes in only the stations where you expect the employees to vote in your favor. If you allow LAS to vote on sight with extended hours... you need to make this available to all stations. Fair is fair!

Additionally, many senior rampers challenged the union reps on the bosses threat to force the west employees under the east contract. Most believe it is just an idle threat. The union reps started the day defending the boss, but as the resistance grew, they ended the day with... "let me check with the boss and get back to you." Not many in LAS see this treat as having any teeth to it. It has however, upset a great many people as it gives the impression that the members are fighting both the company and the union elite.

No other information worthy of sharing came out of today’s meetings.

With warmest regards from sunny Las Vegas,

Cat

Whisperjett

Not short, I'm a "TALL BOY". Just haven't seen anything better in too many years. I actually look forward to the $1.48, more beer! All the other insults work out just fine for me!

As for the B's comment, if you had any, you'd not worry about those boys, and worry more about where your next meal comes from!

And for more than half of us the raise will be much larger. Like by the time Jan. comes around mine will be nearly 3.50 per hour.
So you have to understand I cant afford to turn this down, it just doesnt make economic sense.
Today I got a real reality check when I paid 3.40 dollars a gallon for my cheap on gas toyota. When
My fill up was done the bill was 50.15.
I really hope my east guys really do think of us when they go to vote in CLT and PIT, and PHL.
Were suffering out here.
I had resigned myself to not even come here and write anymore becasue from what I read all I see is negative and vote no, and I do believe that with the power the east hubs have thats most likley where its headed. I do think we will see another merger however I feel this vote up or down will not stop it. Its time to move forward and to embrace our west borthers and sisters into our group and make a strong push for a new complete contract in the future whomever we may join with.

We had our informational meetings in LAS today. Poorly attended. No information was presented that will change anyone's minds.

On the West side of the operation the majority of our employees are part timers with other sources of income. The majority did not vote last time and they will not vote this time. Less then 30% of our total members voted last time.

The vote in LAS was split last time and it will be split this time. Those who are starving and cannot wait months for a better contract will vote yes. It is not because they feel this is a fair agreement... they vote yes because they need the money and who can blame them. Those who are better off financially, those who are worried about job security, and those who understand negotiations and contract law, will vote no. Our vote will fall exactly as it did last time.

What was painfully obvious today is that neither our local rep, nor our regional rep ( both are on the negotiation committee ), have the expertise or knowledge to successfully negotiate on behalf of the members. Let me be clear... this is not a personal attack on either of these gentlemen. They believe they are doing their best. However, the best they can do is not even close to what is needed to make this a fair negotiation. We need individuals who have contract knowledge, negotiating experience and the persuasive characteristics needed to stand up against the company professionals. The thing that was most troubling to me is that both these individuals displayed strong loyalty to the union hierarchy, while displaying very little concern to the rank and file members they represent. There needs to be changes made to the negotiating committee.

Our local rep stated that the union boss feels he can get this passed if he can get enough US west employees to vote. He stated they are going to try and have the LAS vote on site to increase the west employee participation. Additionally he stated he will allow voting up until 8:00 pm to make it easier for the part time employees to get to the airport and vote.

I like the idea of voting on site and I like the idea of extended hours. However, it is not proper to make these changes in only the stations where you expect the employees to vote in your favor. If you allow LAS to vote on sight with extended hours... you need to make this available to all stations. Fair is fair!

Additionally, many senior rampers challenged the union reps on the bosses threat to force the west employees under the east contract. Most believe it is just an idle threat. The union reps started the day defending the boss, but as the resistance grew, they ended the day with... "let me check with the boss and get back to you." Not many in LAS see this treat as having any teeth to it. It has however, upset a great many people as it gives the impression that the members are fighting both the company and the union elite.

No other information worthy of sharing came out of today’s meetings.

With warmest regards from sunny Las Vegas,

Cat

Well to be honest having your vote on site for a favorable vote is no different than when the company and IAM accepted to add 3 stations to the Class 1 status to make sure that the bankrupt contract we have now got voted in. It did, and now here we are tring to make a right out of a wrong back than that split the east into two payscales. So for me its more than fair. Myabe not right but fair.

Black Magic,

Currently UA is the 3rd biggest airline in PHX with maybe 30-40 flights a day. They fly boeing and airbus into PHX now with no RJ's. Hub status if we merged however would be gone. Less than 15 maybe 20 years would have to transfer to save job.

Respectfully,

P. REZ

Yes but compared to like 300 or so flights a day US has in phx? The whole pillar in having a hub is to have strong local traffic (which phx does). Phx has become a giant melting pot with people from all over the country. Even when I am out around town hardly anyone has grown up here, always from some other state. These people want nonstop travel to their destinations.

Black Magic,

PHX has never been a very profitable hub despite the size of this city. PHL and CLT are much more profitable and make the $$$$ for us. UA has DEN, SFO and LAX and wouldn't need PHX. I don't think they would scrap PHX but it would not be nearly as big as now. AA has a very small operation in PHX and if I remember correctly their most junior Full-timer was senior to me and I have 21 years. If we merged with UA I might stay in PHX but if we merged with AA I believe I would be bound for DFW if I wanted to keep this job.

Respectfully, P. REZ

Cat Chaser you make a very interesting point about the IAM. It goes to show that the IAM is extending and reaching out the west with flexible voting, while in the east the workers there have to go to some local lodge with weird hours. In essence they are try to taint the voting process. Corrupt!

Freedom
Something very similar has happened to us old timers.
Eventually we saw the error of our ways and had another push to get union representation. We had a vote between the IAM, Teamsters and the Steelworkers. This is how we ended up with the IAM.
Just to keep the record straight, the iam never won the election. There were more votes for no union. But the votes for all three unions combined was more than the amount of votes for no union. Out of the three unions the iam had the most votes, which were less than the amount of votes for no union. The way the nmb operates, they said that since there was 50% + 1 for a union, then of the 3, iam had the most and they are the union of choice. They did not win. They got in through the back door by default. And they have been back door dealing ever since, when it comes to the US Ramp. No union had more actual votes.

Rogue

Wrong,

The IAM had the most votes, then the USWA then the IBT and there was a runoff election and the IAM won that over the USWA.

Cat

Cat,

Very good post of the goings on in LAS. You have brought to light some of the things that we should all be aware of but aren't. One being how inept the agc's are. Whenever you ask them a question, The answer is "I DON'T KNOW I'LL GET BACK TO YOU ON THAT". Which means if they answer the questions without getting approval to answer union questions by union members, that they stand to get booted from their union paycheck position. One of the ones that was in LAS for your meeting is especially good for I'LL GET BACK TO YOU ON IT. Beware LAS, beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.